Transmission fliud to treat deck

Old 05-20-00, 09:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Has any one heard of useing transmission fliud to treat a deck ? I have had several people tell me that this is a cheap and effective way to treat a deck. Any comments ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-00, 11:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Transmission fluid not recommended as a wood sealer. First, because it is not inexpensive - you can buy a gallon of a good wood sealer (Thompson's) for about the same price as a quart of transmission fluid. Secondly, the transmission fluid will leave an oily film on the surface of the wood which will attract dirt and dust and be slippery when wet. (Look at the under side of your car.)

Old 05-29-00, 12:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Transmission fluid may be toxic. I know it is a beautiful grass (and probably weeds too) killer. I certainly wouldn't want to come in contact with it any more than possible.

It is on our city's list of banned substances for normal disposal and can only legally be handled in a recycling program.

Definitely would not want it on my deck, new or used.

Old 05-29-00, 08:07 PM
Visiting Guest
As a follow-up to the 2 previous posts, DON'T let the EPA catch you even THINKING about doing this!!

Old 05-30-00, 05:17 AM
Visiting Guest
If you use transmission fluid on your deck, you will be back very soon, asking us how to get it off your floors and carpets.