Amount of overhang past support beam?

Old 06-07-00, 06:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am building a 16 foot wide deck with 2 by 8's on 16 inch centers. The distance from the ledger board on the house to the support beam will be 10 feet. The support beam will be two 2 by 10's sandwiched together on three 6 by 6 pillars in concrete. I want to know if I can safely overhang the support beam by 4 feet if I double up every other 2 by 8. The deck boards will be 1 by 6's and everything is pressure treated pine.

Old 06-07-00, 10:29 PM
Visiting Guest
That's not how I would do it. I would use 4X6 girders on 4 foot centers (in place of your double 2X10 support beam). I would use 4X4 posts on pier blocks, on 6 foot centers ( not the 6X6's set in concrete -- they'll rot out!!) The girders would run parallel with the house wall. My joists would be 2X6's on 16" centers, and my decking would be 2X6, either Trax, redwood, or cedar (in that order) depending on what's available to you and how much you have to do this deck with. A 4 foot cantelever is no problem on a deck that is 16' wide. (your last support is at 12'.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by kevin_miller@hp.com:
I am building a 16 foot wide deck with 2 by 8's on 16 inch centers. The distance from the ledger board on the house to the support beam will be 10 feet. The support beam will be two 2 by 10's sandwiched together on three 6 by 6 pillars in concrete. I want to know if I can safely overhang the support beam by 4 feet if I double up every other 2 by 8. The deck boards will be 1 by 6's and everything is pressure treated pine.<HR>

Old 06-08-00, 04:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Lefty is right. Your deck is way over build. Wasted money. Have to leave in 30 minutes to build a 14 x 16 deck. All 2x6's and 4x4 posts. Will take 2 guys 8 hours. We use 5/4 x 6 cedar decking. Your pressure treated lumber is good. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: