Low deck help

Old 07-05-00, 03:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My husband and I want to build a low deck in the yard of our rented house. Obviously we want to do this as inexpensively as possible since we don't own the house, however we don't want to cut corners too much.
We're not sure how to go about doing this because of a few obstacles in it's path. Our kitchen door is on the side of the house and opens up onto a small concrete landing with two concrete steps down into the yard. We want to build the deck so it either covers or meets one of the steps. The entire west side of the yard is held up by a 6 foot retaining wall (I don't know if this is important but I thought I'd mention it). In addition to the steps, which are along the southern part of the yard, about 4 feet down is a basement window which is surrounded by a masonry window well. The window well is above the ground. We would prefer not to attach the deck to the house and are wondering what to do about the steps and the window well. Do we (can we) go right over them somehow? The yard slopes toward the house so I don't think that constructing the deck on sleepers would be a good idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Maria

Old 07-05-00, 05:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Maria:
I am not going to answer you whole question because I am too tired. but I will give you a couple things to think about. You want you deck to be level with the bottom step. Also,
I would not cover up your window well. If you do, check with your landlord first. At this point my mind is gone. 20 hours pouring conctete. Lefty or Carpenter, jump in here and take over. Thanks

Old 07-05-00, 08:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Maria, it sounds to me like you are still in the planning stages of this project, which is probably a good thing. Before you get too hung up in the specifics (how to deal with this, how to deal with that), figure out just how big of an investment a simple deck will be. You said you're renting, and obviously you won't be able to pack this deck up and move it if you decide to move. I'm not trying to talk you out of building the deck, but make sure you realize just how much you will be investing in the lumber (not to mention your time) BEFORE you start the project. I would suggest that you talk it over with your landlord before you start. He or she will be the one's benefiting from this. At the very least they should be willing to buy the material for this deck. After all. it is their property that will be increasing in value, not yours.

Old 07-05-00, 08:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Sorry I didn't answer any of your questions, but I will if you decide to go ahead with the project. Just give me a day or so to visualize what's going on here. July and August just seem to have too many 20 hour days!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: