sakrete mixing

Old 07-19-00, 06:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

A professional installer friend tells me his company pours 1/3 of an 80 lb. bag of sakrete into a post hole, places a 4x4 post into the hole on top of that 1/3, pours the remaining 2/3 around the post, pours in 1 gallon jug of water and fill the hole with dirt. No premixing of the water at all. The next day the post is solid and they have never had any problems with this method. Any experiences with this or opinions?

DaleP

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-00, 12:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Your friend makes his living based on speed. I'd premix myself.

Old 07-20-00, 01:57 AM
Visiting Guest
This is done all the time. It is very popular in the NW. I have done hundreds of posts this way. Not a problem, works great.
The trick is to have the water there or a moist soil. I put 1/3, poured in about 1 gallon of water, then the post. They do this because they are sure the sackcrete powder gets all around the post. When mixing it first you just never know, and sometimes airpockets will form about 1' down in the ground.

Old 07-20-00, 04:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Jack is right on, as usual. Its also popular in the midwest.

Old 07-20-00, 11:41 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack the Contractor:
This is done all the time. It is very popular in the NW. I have done hundreds of posts this way. Not a problem, works great.
The trick is to have the water there or a moist soil. I put 1/3, poured in about 1 gallon of water, then the post. They do this because they are sure the sackcrete powder gets all around the post. When mixing it first you just never know, and sometimes airpockets will form about 1' down in the ground.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks,
so you mean you do not swirl the post around in the 1/3 bag to mix the water and you place the post on top of the 1/3, not shoving it into the 1/3. Then the remainder of the bag and more water or just the concrete mix and no more water?

DP

Old 07-21-00, 05:20 AM
Visiting Guest
You dig your post hole, put the post into the hole, pour some water into the hole, about 1/2 gallon, then pour the concrete(dry)
down into the hole around the post. Put in a little dirt, tamp it, and start the process over. Your hole is only a couple feet deep.
It can't be over four feet deep, because they do not made post hole augers longer then that.