Hot Tub

Old 07-18-00, 12:51 PM
Visiting Guest
how do i find out if my deck is strong enough to support a hot tub... the range of water i am looking at is 300-400 gallons (approx. 2400-3200 pounds)
my deck is 12' x 30' with 2x8 joists on a doubled up 2x8 beam (cantillevered at 10"), the leadger is bolted into the house @ 2' intervals with 1/2"x6" lag screws (2 every 2'), there are 5 cement footers (8" footers) at a depth of about 26-28" each, the deck is 21" max off the ground.... appreciate any info

Old 07-18-00, 03:57 PM
Visiting Guest
So if I'm reading this correctly, your joists have a free span of about 11' from the ledger to the double 2X8 beam? If it were my deck, and I wanted to put a hot tub on it, I would add another beam (on posts, on footings) at 5-1/2' at least in the area where the tub was going to sit.

Old 07-20-00, 06:29 PM
Visiting Guest
No the deck has a free span of 10 feet (there was a misprint) and it is sitting a on a beam 4" X 8" (2 - 2"X8"s)... so is there a way to find out what the max amout of weight i can put on the deck per square foot and or if this deck can support a hot tub... i was thinking about putting pier blocks under the joists where the tub would be (because there would not be enough room to put any other beams under there....)

Old 07-21-00, 06:16 AM
Visiting Guest
I ran a quick set of calculations between two other projects, and the 10' span is not enough. actually it is borderline. In the area of your tub, you will need posts and piers every 5 feet (this gives you a 5' span)
At least in your tub area.
Also you did not mention you your beams are attached to your posts. They should be bolted. (3/8" bolts, not galvanized).

Old 07-25-00, 02:51 PM
Visiting Guest
due to ground clearances the beam is resting on the cement poured footings. there is a j-bolt sticking out of the cement and into the beam... the beam (2-2X8) is screwed together.

Old 07-25-00, 11:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Donny, I can't see your deck, or what condition it is currently in. But you need to put another beam under it in the area where the tub will be located. That 10' of free span is simply too much to support the weight of the tub you are planning on putting on it.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by donny715:
due to ground clearances the beam is resting on the cement poured footings. there is a j-bolt sticking out of the cement and into the beam... the beam (2-2X8) is screwed together.<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: