New Deck Treatment

Old 07-26-00, 11:20 AM
Visiting Guest
OK- I have read a lot-
I just completed a deck-
a) Should I treat the deck soon or wait till next year?
b) When should I treat?
c) What is the best product for new decks?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-00, 11:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Treat it now. Waiting until next year will just give mother nature a head start on you and you will never catch up. I prefer Super Deck, but others swear by Thompson's, and still others won't use anything except Behr's, and others...

Old 07-27-00, 06:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks- Who makes that brand of treatment?

Old 07-27-00, 07:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Read the directions on the stain. Some kinds recommend waiting, depending on what kind of wood you installed (you didn't say). I can't remember for sure, but I think it usually recommends a waiting period if you used pressure-treated wood.

The recommendations for stain also vary depending on where you live (you didn't say).

Old 07-28-00, 05:53 AM
Visiting Guest
I used regular Yellow pine pressure treated lumber for everything- I live in New Jersey.
Thanks

Old 07-28-00, 04:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Wait 3 months for p.t. wood. Pressure treated wood has a high moisture content - notice how it felt damp at the yard? Treating before it dries out is asking for problems.

You get what you pay for with deck sealers. Thompsons is parafin (like candle wax). $8/gal and lasts 3 months. Flood Co's CWF-UV is $16-20 and lasts for years. Cabort is $25 and lasts lnger than Flood. I've heard Sikkens is $50 but is even better than Cabot.