Deck railing

Old 08-07-00, 12:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

What is the maximium spacing allowed for 4x4 railing posts?
Thanks,
Craig

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-00, 05:50 PM
Visiting Guest
It all depends on the size of rails you will be putting between the posts. How far off of the ground is the deck edge? If it is more than 24", you will need to put ballisters or a lattice between the posts so the there are no openings which a 4" ball can pass through.

Old 08-07-00, 09:26 PM
Visiting Guest
I will be using 2x4 rails and 2x2 ballusters. The deck height is 48".
Craig

Old 08-07-00, 10:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I'ld space them 4 feet apart, or as close to that as possible and still have them evenly spaced across each edge of the deck. Of course, I'ld probably do my rail differently too. At the top, a 2X6 flat across the top of the 4X4's, 2X4's on edge attached to that between the 4X4's, and 2X4's at the bottom of the ballisters. Those bottom 2X4's would only be 3-1/2" to 4" above the deck. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CraigH:
I will be using 2x4 rails and 2x2 ballusters. The deck height is 48".
Craig
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 08-07-00, 10:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Normally, I would space them at 4', but this is a unique deck. It is two levels, with two sets of stairs (one "built in" and one coming off at 45 degrees). Spacing the posts at 4' would look pretty crowded.
I was wondering what the maximum spacing allowed by code is. I can't seem to find this information.
Also, I'm using milled cedar handrails for the top rail.
Thanks,
Craig

Old 08-08-00, 03:50 AM
Visiting Guest
There is not really a code for the distance between the posts. However, I would not put them farther apart then 8'. If the distance is less then 16 feet, I split the difference and put a post in the middle.

Old 08-08-00, 06:55 AM
Visiting Guest
My longest span is about 7', so I guess it'll be ok.
Thanks for all the help,
Craig