2 problems with my deck

Old 07-31-00, 05:06 AM
Visiting Guest
I just bought a 1951 cape in Fairfield Connecticut.

I have an attached, covered porch out the back. It is basically a large concrete slab with wooden posts and rails surrounding it. (The dimensions are ~ 15' long, 6' wide, 8-9' high).

Here's the first problem: the paint on the plywood roof is deteriorating. Also, when I push up on the roof it "gives", i.e. it's soft from rot I assume. I'd like to chip, sand & repaint it but I don't think I should use regular paint. Perhaps something a bit heavier. (I'm not in this house for the long run...just need to patch this area).

Here's the second problem: it appears that the concrete slab when it was installed was not graded properly. Whenever it rains I notice that some of the water drains TOWARD the house. A buddy of mine suggested using something called vinyl patch to grade it away from the house.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 07-31-00, 10:53 PM
Visiting Guest
If the plywood is soft (or gives) to the touch, it is rotten. No paint is going to correct that. Replace the plywood. And paint is a rather poor choice for a roofing material. If this porch roof has a pitch greater than 3/12, roof it with a 20 year, 3 tab roof shingle (which will probably cost about the same as what the paint would). If the slope is less than 3/12, use a metal roofing. You're only talking 90 sq. ft. -- it's not going to break the bank to do it right!

Old 08-08-00, 10:10 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by lefty:
If the plywood is soft (or gives) to the touch, it is rotten. No paint is going to correct that. Replace the plywood. And paint is a rather poor choice for a roofing material. If this porch roof has a pitch greater than 3/12, roof it with a 20 year, 3 tab roof shingle (which will probably cost about the same as what the paint would). If the slope is less than 3/12, use a metal roofing. You're only talking 90 sq. ft. -- it's not going to break the bank to do it right!<HR>

Lefty, I apologize for not being totally clear at first...it's not the roof that's the problem...it's the ceiling under the roof...does this make sense? the roof is covered with brand new shingles but the ceiling of the roof is plywood

Old 08-08-00, 10:02 PM
Visiting Guest
I sure am glad you clarified THAT!! But go back and read the first 2 sentences of my original post. You'll need to replace the plywood. It's probable that there was a roof leak at one time that allowed water to get to it and destroy it. Just seal the plywood and put a good coat of paint on it (or 'a coat of good paint' would probably be a better way to put that). As far as the clb that is graded in the wrong direction, repour it, and grade it away from the house.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by newhomeowner:
Lefty, I apologize for not being totally clear at first...it's not the roof that's the problem...it's the ceiling under the roof...does this make sense? the roof is covered with brand new shingles but the ceiling of the roof is plywood

<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: