Deck wood repair

Old 08-26-00, 07:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

My deck is relatively new (<4 years old), and has been completely painted by the previous
owners. It has benches and tables built on it and some of the seating planks of wood have
started to rot and as a result the nails in them have lost their grip.
My question - what can I do to repair the rotting and prevent any further rotting? I'd like to be able to put in a filler such that I can use new nails to nail the planks down.
Apart from replacing the planks (which won't be easy) what are my other options?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-00, 12:26 PM
Visiting Guest
First off, what kind of wood did they use for the decking? If it is starting to rot in just 4 years, it sounds like it may be doug fir. Not the best choice for a decking material. And painting the deck was not a very good idea either. If they wanted something other than the color of the wood, they should have used a stain like Super Deck, and then a good water sealer if needed.

If it were my deck, based on what you have posted, I would probably not put any time and money into trying to use what was there. I would start replacing the deck boards. Would probably look first at one of the many composite materials that are now available. Cost a bit more to buy, but there is no maintanence, and no rot.