Jacking up my deck

Old 08-29-00, 04:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We moved back to our house in central NY (after an 11 year absence) and I noticed the deck has sunken down about an inch. It's not noticeable while on the deck but you can see the drop when facing the 3 support posts with the middle one lower than the left or right. I bought a Tel-o-jack and plan on jacking the center support beam up until everything is level. It looks like it might need to go up an inch or so. Question: I plan on putting a steel support into concrete footing and then the jack on top of that. Is this advisable? Also, should I coat the jack with WD-40 or something else to prevent rust?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-00, 05:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Your plan will work. I would not recommend WD-40. It will dry out in no time. If you want to coat the jack, use water proof axle grease.

If the footing is solid, could you possibly put a cripple post behind the existing one and then eliminate the jack?

More than a Carpenter

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 08-30-00, 05:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. Regarding the footing, I have 3 6x6 posts holding up the end of the deck with each one buried in its own concrete footing. When you say to put in a cripple post, do you mean installing another post (same size) behind the original? If so, the problem I run into is I would have to provide for a footing for that new post also. Would I jack the deck up to the desired height using some temporary support for the telojack, install a new post behind the old one, let it set, then remove the jack? Thanks again.
Bob

Old 08-31-00, 06:23 PM
Visiting Guest
If you are required to have the post buried into a concrete footing, then this will not work.

If you are not required, then Simpson makes a n adjustable post base bracket in 4x4 and 6x6 just for these simple things.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net