Installing Ledger Board

Old 09-21-00, 08:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I am having a new house built and I am doing my own deck off the second story Patio Door. The siding guys are going to be installing the vinyl on my house this Saturday and I want to have my Ledger board in place so they can properly flash it. My question is as follows: I am going to build a 16' long treated deck with 5/4" X 6" Decking to cover it. When I place my Ledger board, how far down below the sill of the patio door do I want to be. We don't want to step down from the floor of the kitchen to step on the deck. Do I place the Ledger board so the top of the 2 x 8 is at the same height as the kitchen floor, or do I come down 5/4" from the bottom of the patio door sill? Any Help / Advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not going to actually build the rest of the deck for a couple of weeks, but I do need to get that Ledger board on by Friday Night. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-00, 03:21 AM
Visiting Guest
I am going to assume that your patio door is already in. There is no real distance is has to be down below the BOTTOM OF THE DOOR,
but I usually it down about an inch. Just so water will not run in, or snow or ice build up. Just good sense to keep the moisture out of the room. Hope this helps.
It is Friday morning 5:15 am. Time to hand your board. If you have trouble, have the siding guys help you hold it up. Use big long lag screws one every 16" or 24" where ever your joists are.