Where can i get decking like Cedar, Mahogany, etc

Old 02-10-03, 10:57 AM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can i get decking like Cedar, Mahogany, etc

I am considering building an attached deck this spring. It will be about 13 x 24 and will run perpendicular to the house. i am trying to price out everything. I live in massachusetts and we have the Home Depot's and the Loew's here. All they have for decking is pressure treated and the composite stuff. i plan on using pressure treated for the beams, joists, etc. I want to use something that will look nicer for the decking. Where can i get other types of decking from, plus what are all the other wood decking options besides PT. From what i understand, the idea is to use wood that is not prone to rot and decay. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I guess that means redwood, cedar, ..???
Is it possible to use other woods. i was walking in the Home Depot the other day and there was spruce. Can this be used??

Old 02-10-03, 06:48 PM
john2003
Visiting Guest
Spruce is not ideal for decking. You would have to prime and then paint all four sides and ensure that the paint is reapplied every 2 to 3 years. Cedar or redwood is preferred but must be treated as well or it will discolor. Composite decking is now made to mirror cedar but I would stay away from the railings as my experience has been that they can be flimsy. Check in the yellow pages for lumber stores that sell to the trades, they usually have a better selection fo woods than the big box stores.

Old 02-10-03, 08:32 PM
Another choice is Ipe, or sometimes called Ironwood.
With the cedar, redwood, or Ipe, you will be paying some exhorbitant freight charges, if your local lumber supplier will order it for you.

fred

Old 02-10-03, 08:38 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want something other than pressure treated or composite, the first thing you have to do is get out of HD and Lowes. These buy items that can be had, and are READILY available nationwide. You won't find mahogany or redwood for decking in their stores. Your chances of finding cedar are slim.

You're in Massachusetts -- redwood grows in the extreme northwestern corner of CA. Even if you found it there, you couldn't afford enough to do a deck with, unless your name is Bill Gates or Ted Turner, or Donald Trumph, ... Forget the redwood.

For anything else, you are going to have to check out a LOCAL lumber yard. Lowes or HD simply are not going to offer items like IPE, mahogany, etc.

Old 02-10-03, 08:59 PM
S
Littleton Lumber
Concord Lumber
Moores Lumber Ayer, chelmsford, nashua

Carry either or both....cedar and mahogany...

find stores that specialize...Malls carry only the popular stuff.....

Old 02-11-03, 10:22 AM
W
Thanks everyone!!

Old 02-11-03, 05:16 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
Go to Moynihan's in North Reading. I've bought lots of Cedar decking from them and they're great. Last time I bought I went in and hand picked everything and they put it aside and delivered it, and they deliver for FREE with no minimum!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: