Deck Buillders: Pilot Holes?

Old 02-11-03, 07:53 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Deck Buillders: Pilot Holes?

I'm putting together a wooden swingset kit and am using 2 1/2" bronze deck screws in treated pine; This afternoon, I had the darndest time with my very first screw and though I got through the day, before I go back to work on it tomorrow; What size bit do the pros use for bronze deck screws?

Personally, I don't know that I've ever drilled into pressure treated wood, but my pilot holes caused my phillips bit to dance around until I ended-up trashing it; So, I just kept going with larger and longer pilot holes until I found something that worked; But since this is a child's swingset before I get to the structural elements, I thought I should ask the deck building pros for the "proper" way to do it; After all, I'm using your screws...

Thanks in Advance;
R

Old 02-11-03, 11:40 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer to use square drive screws rather than phillips, but given that your local hardware store might not provide you with that option, and HD is over 100 miles away, ...

Drill with a countersink first, then use a 9/64" bit for the pilot hole, assuming that these are #8 deck screws.

Old 02-12-03, 12:28 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Thanks Lefty and as the kids say; You da man

I started with a smaller bit, but like I said, once I got into virgin territory, my driver just danced and danced; Of course, your response caused me to get out the guide which came with the bit set (duh?) and yeah, 9/64" seems to be one size smaller than the actual screw, so I'll give your suggestion a whirl in the morning, or once I wake up which isn't usually until ten o'clock What I did today was done with a 5/32", so there isn't a huge difference, I guess the holes were drilled to fit, that's all.

Just to let you know, my list-building is actually taking a little longer than I thought; The family has scheduled a short camping trip towards the end of the month and then I'm going to unload the truck from Lowes; In the meantime, I'm taking full advantage of the delay; Though, if you saw my list, I'm sure you'd agree that even though I'm going to be out of touch, my mind is going to be under the house or up in the attic, the whole time. BTW: The swingset is another part of the prep work, I might've thought of the handy little sizing guide this afternoon, if I didn't have an almost three year old, "helping"...

Thanks again for the help;
You're certainly part of what makes these forums worthwhile;

PS) Are the square drives that much less likely to boogie?

I've got the drivers; I've just never used one and you're right, they don't have the screws here in town, but the wife is going into Abq on Thursday and I could get her to drop by, one or the other of the box stores and pick some up...

Thanks again;
R

BTW: In case anyone is interested, I'm putting together a unit from; http://www.swing-n-slide.com

Last edited by magister; 02-12-03 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-12-03, 04:25 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure R, with square drive screws the tip is much less likely to spin than it is in a phillips head screw.

Keep us updated on all of the projects.

Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: