Obviously, we're not doing something right!

Old 02-16-03, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Obviously, we're not doing something right!

Help!

We have vinyl for the ceiling of our 7 foot porches. We tried to start putting it up today and the first piece 'bowed' down, making it look like the letter u instead of being flat. We tried taking down the 'f' channel and putting up a starter strip which created a gap at the beam. We have 1000 s.f. of covered porch and an equal amount of vinyl for this project. Right now we think we will have to take down all of the 'f' channel and put up 7/16" plywood and run the vinyl out from the house to the beam instead of running it parallel to the house as we had planned. Would like to see it run the same as the porch floor boards, but if we have to put it perpendicular to the house, fine we just need it covered. What are we doing wrong here??? Is there a trim piece for the gap at the outside beam? Any help at all is greatly needed, and if any free labor would like to come over...

Sandie

Old 02-17-03, 04:42 AM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These vinyl panels are probably 10" wide and 12' long, with a nailer along one edge. How far apart are you placing the nails?

Old 02-18-03, 02:14 PM
Nailing every ceiling joist/porch rafter, 16" OC

Old 02-18-03, 05:14 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You ARE using vertical siding / soffit to do this, right? And you are running it perpendicular to the joists, nailing it every 16". And you are getting each panel properly hooked to the preceeding one? Are you setting the nails too tight? Too loose? (They should be set so that they are holding the panel in place, but still allow it to slide, so that it can expand and contract.)

I've put up a couple thousand squares this way, and I have never had a problem with it sagging.

Old 02-18-03, 07:23 PM
lefty,

We are using soffit, we planned to put one course of vented soffit in the ceiling to help with the attic ventilation (hip roof with ridge vent). The vented soffit section every 4th piece for the actual soffit seemed inadequate so that is why we planned to vent the porch. I know for certain that we are using soffit and not siding material. When we took down the work, I had to get the tool to 'unlock' the first course from the second. Maybe I am nailing mine too loose and my husband is nailing his too tight? It is awfully hard to nail overhead! The soffit is perpindicular to the joists and nailed every 16". If it helps, we started at the beam and a 48 degree corner where we have the trim channel up to seperate where the joists change directions.
Thanks

Old 02-18-03, 07:31 PM
Woodsong
Visiting Guest
I'm with lefty...I have put up untold amounts of the soffit material for ceilings and never had a problem with sagging. If you are installing with the nailing flange perpendicular to the joists you are nailing to, then you should not be having this problem. Granted, until you get it nailed up it will be like a big wet noodle, but it should be straight forward. And I use F channel for the edge of the first piece just as you described, not starter strip.

You should look at buying the "bead board" vinyl material for ceilings. It is a little more expensive but looks a lot better than triple 4" soffit on the ceiling if you are wanting an "upscale" look to it.

Old 02-18-03, 07:48 PM
Woodsong, you have just described what I have been begging to have...BEADBOARD!!! But we have already bought and paid for all of the standard soffit material and the vinyl distributor liquidated 3 months ago. So we will have to use what we paid for and I'll have to live with it. Possibly we didn't get going good enough to straighten things out??? Also, how do you finish the edge at the house wall? Currently we have the locking trim nailed up so that when we get to the edge of the house, we will cut the soffit and use the punch to lock it in. (Sorry about not knowing the correct words.) Is this right or should it be more 'f' channel?

Old 02-18-03, 08:22 PM
Woodsong
Visiting Guest
when you get to the end of the run, I terminate into more F channel and put a few strategically placed whiter fascia trim nails to hold in place. You are refering to the undersill channel ("locking channel"). You can use that just as well. Problem is that usually you will then have 3 sides of the ceiling wrapped in F channel and then one side with just undersill which is not the same size as the F. If you can do it with undersill and not look funny and you are happy then that works just as well.

I don't know how many square feet you are installing for the ceiling, but in the metro Atlanta area (I see you are in W GA) you can get the beadboard vinyl ceilings for about $80/100 square feet. If you are living there a while and you have the room in the budget it is definitely worth the upgrade. I am a builder by trade and I also just finished building my own house with my own two hands like you are doing and that is what I put on our porch ceiling. It is good looking stuff!

Good luck. Did you frame the house too?

Old 02-18-03, 08:40 PM
Woodsong,
No we didn't frame it ourselves. My husband's uncle owns a construction company and his crew framed it during a 'down' time between jobs. The roof, poured walls and slab, and framing along with the drilled well have been all that we haven't done ourselves. We are trying to get a different uncle back to finish the hvac that he started. I dug every footing myself and my husband has done all of the plumbing himself. We were told by the roofer that our house was very square and the cousin (architect) shot it with a transit and said we were 1/8" off! We will definately appreciate that trailer park lot payment for our 2240 sf house! Right now it is just a motorcycle workshop with eventual living quarters above!!! (Hubby hates it when I say that! LOL!!) We just need to get these porch ceilings closed since we have been burgled 3 times and the sheriff has put us on security watch. Ticked me off pretty bad last time, they got the generator, AquaStar hot water heater and gained access by climbing through the rafters in the back. Sorry for such a long message, thanks for all of your help.
Sandie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: