stairs

Old 09-27-00, 10:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

i have a tight situation,where i have a 10'x8'deck,now the deck is 135" high with a landind atop measuring 36"long x 32" wide which then connects onto the deck area,now between the landing and the side of my garage,i have 148"distance,i worked out the formula provided to me by a friend but it doesnt work out cause of the distance between the garage and the landing;he also stated that a 7"rise and a 11"run would be comfortable,but i dont have the room,i dont mine a steep stairs,i'll conpensate comfort for a set of stairs,this is a homeowner d.i.y.project and so far everything came out perfect except the stairs.thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-00, 11:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Are you saying that the 148" dead ends into the garage wall? Is the 135" height uniform to where the bottom of the stairs would hit?

I'll help you out, but I need to know exactly what I'm dealing with here.

I'm pretty good at cutting stairs to fit tight spots.

More than a Carpenter

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 09-30-00, 02:38 AM
Visiting Guest
One of the reasons you are having trouble, is that your height and your distance out are within a few inches of being equal. Which, is a 1 to 1 slope. or 12" up and 12" out. You will have to install a landing in the middle or somewhere on your stairs. You can go to a 9 high, with a 11" tread and still be within code. you can even go 10" high, but now you are getting pretty steep.

Old 09-30-00, 09:08 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack the Contractor:
One of the reasons you are having trouble, is that your height and your distance out are within a few inches of being equal. Which, is a 1 to 1 slope. or 12" up and 12" out. You will have to install a landing in the middle or somewhere on your stairs. You can go to a 9 high, with a 11" tread and still be within code. you can even go 10" high, but now you are getting pretty steep.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jack: I have received an e-mail from fmaldo and I replied to him this way

"I assume that you are planning a landing near the bottom of the stairs?

My construction calculator tells me this:

8" riser height
17 risers
7 15/16" riser size
1/16" +/- difference in riser heigth
16 treads
9 1/4" tread depth (2x10 board)
16' 3 1/16" stringer length

8" riser height is okay. Your tread depth should not be tampered with too much. You can use 2x12 for treads and maybe rip 1" off the worst side. This way you have 10 1/4" deep steps.

Even if you build a landing near the bottom to turn your steps parallel to the garage wall the heights will not change."

More than a Carpenter

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited September 30, 2000).]