new deck questions

Old 09-30-00, 06:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

i am planning on building a new deck myself and have a few direction / advice questions :

1. what type of wood is recommended? i have already passed on using treated pine, and the decision is now cedar or mahogany. is there a difference, and which is better suited?

2. at the lumber store, there are a few sample decks assembled. one of the samples used a system where by the deck floor boards are attached from underneath using screws. is this relatively easy to do, and is the system recommended ( sorry, i cannot remember the brand name of the system )?

3. given the type of lumber i will use ( not pine ) it was explained to me that the boards do not come in set lengths. rather, due to the expense of the wood, the lengths vary between 8 and 12 feet. given this fact, a deck that is 16'X16' ( the size I am planning )my have seams where the board lenghts meet. does this cause real construction problems ? do the ends fray / warp easier? does it look like crap when finished? on alternative i have is to miter the boards and make a diagonal pattern to avoid this. is this preferable?

i would hire a contractor, but most tell me it will be AT LEAST 12 months before they can even think about this project, given the business they have, and this job may be too small for their interest. so here i am.

thanks

jason

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-00, 09:33 AM
Visiting Guest
You should be able to get 5/4 x 6 Cedar in pre-cut lengths.

I believe that you might be talking about Deckmaster brackets. Here's their web link http://www.deckmaster.com/

Western Red Cedar and Redwood both produce beautiful decking, and are frequently specified for high-end custom decks since they both resist splintering, cupping, twisting, and checking (cracks). Stainless fasteners are recommended. Pre-drilling is not needed except near ends.

Tropical hardwoods such as Ipe, Teak, Mahogany, and Pau Lope are the premium materials for long life decks. These woods are very dense and resist rot, in addition to the qualities of the previous woods. They are generally only available on a special order basis. Based on the high up front costs, it is best to use stainless steel fasteners to insure the longest life. Oversized holes need to be drilled in these materials to avoid thread engagement except with the joist.

Miters look very nice on a custom deck when they are done correctly.

Where do you live? Any where close to Southeast Missouri?

More than a Carpenter: Home repair & construction

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited September 30, 2000).]