powerwashing decks:how to?

Old 10-01-00, 07:11 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a pressure treated deck, approx 10 years old. I would like to powerwash it. About 4 years ago I cleaned it with a bleach solution purchased at Home Depot and put a Thompson's water seal on it but nothing since. What is the best way for me to clean it? Do I need a chemical to strip it? (I was thinking of renting a power washer from a rental place.) And how can I protect the many periennals growing around the deck if I power wash it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-00, 04:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Forget the power wash. Most h/o set the pressure too high. You're better off with a non-bleach cleaner. Get an oxygenated cleaner. If the local big box doesn't carry it, try a smaller hardware store.

Old 10-02-00, 10:17 AM
Visiting Guest
I agree, forget the power washer. You have a better chance at ruining the wood than cleaning it. Use a stiff bristle brush and the oxygenated cleaner. Let dry thoroughly(48 hours) and then treat with a penetrating sealer like Flood or TWP.

See www.mfgsealants.com for a good lesson on wood preservatives.

Old 10-02-00, 06:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

And I bought a power washer about 4 years ago just for p-washing my three decks. They are due, and I'm going with the oxygenated cleaner, too. Thanks for the advice, guys. Mike aka Old Guy