Building a screened-in porch on our deck

Old 09-28-00, 03:37 PM
Visiting Guest
My deck doesn't have a roof, I would like to know how to tie-in a roof for the new screened area to the house's roof. There is an eave with guttering on it. I know the guttering goes, but then what?

Also, any ideas about how to attach the screen? Which screening is best? The deck faces the East. I was thinking of using the "sunscreen", will it hold up for a VERY long time?

Thank you for any advice,

J. Miller

Old 09-28-00, 11:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I would suggest putting a ledger on the wall and tying the roof of your screenroom to that. Don't know where you are, but here in CA, it isn't legal to tie a patio roof to the rafter tails, if that's what you are thinking about doing.

The next issue will be the type of roof you put on it. It will probably have to be extremely flat in order to have any ceiling height at teh outside wall. I would suggest that you look into an aluminum 'flatpan' or a Weatherbreaker II roof system. Either can be installed with a pitch as low as 3/8" per foot, and their is no maintanence, other than to hose the leaves off of it.

Old 09-29-00, 04:51 AM
Visiting Guest
There is a system called "screen tite" available at Lowe's and Home Depot(and probably other stores) that works extremely well. It gives a very clean installation and you can use any type of screen.

Old 10-08-00, 01:42 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by ?miller?:
My deck doesn't have a roof, I would like to know how to tie-in a roof for the new screened area to the house's roof. There is an eave with guttering on it. I know the guttering goes, but then what?

Also, any ideas about how to attach the screen? Which screening is best? The deck faces the East. I was thinking of using the "sunscreen", will it hold up for a VERY long time?

Thank you for any advice,

J. Miller
<HR>

I was hoping to add a deck that would turn into a screeded porch over about 2 years time. Is there anything I should know before I start? I can only afford to do it once.

Old 10-12-00, 06:09 AM
Visiting Guest
If you live in Califonia, be prepared. There are a lot of rules for a screened-in porch (as probably elsewhere). The most obvious are the ceiling height, 7'-0" to the rafters, and the beam height, 6'-8" min. Of course the beam and joist sizes must meet code, as well as the connections. Your roof must have a minimum slope of 1/4" per foot. Some of the less obvious considerations are: setbacks, you can't place a post footing close to an in-ground pool, usually the depth of the pool is the setback. Enclosure walls must be open at least 65% of the total wall area of the longer wall and one additional wall. On a 12' x 18' patio cover, this would be approximately 130sf of openings. The openings are not permitted to be covered with any permanent materials except screening or readily removable plexiglass (1/8" max), glass may be permitted on a case by case basis. Sliding patio doors are not permitted to be included in the calculation of open area.
Check with your local building department. They should have handouts that explain the minimum requirements for patio covers and screened-in patio covers.

Old 10-13-00, 08:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank you all for your "help" replies.
I should have included in my request that I live in the country in Alabama. There are no rules or, if there are, they are not enforced.

J. Miller

Old 10-13-00, 08:16 AM
Visiting Guest
To TONIP:

When we get our screened-in deck finished, I will let you know what we should have done to make it easier! (This is a do & learn project for us, so, what we learn we will pass it on.) J. Miller

Old 10-13-00, 04:20 PM
Visiting Guest
To TONIP:

Design the entire project first, roof and screen walls. This may help you in locating the posts where you want them the first time, and save you having to move them later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: