Building on top?

Old 10-28-00, 09:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Wondering if anyone knows a good DIY solution to building a "room extention" on top of a pre-exsisting deck? I've seen the info-commercial on television, but am looking for a DIY.

Anything? Any place to learn more about doing it it general? Stick build, etc.?

Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-00, 10:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Place to start is at your local bldg. dept. Decide if you want a 'patio room' or 'habitable space'. There are huge differences between the two, from what is required in constructing them, what qualifies as each, how they affect your property taxes, fire insurance, etc.

Be more specific about what exactly it is you have in mind to build, and then we can help.

Old 10-28-00, 01:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Ok, can you tell me (or where I can find) what the technical differences are?

Pete

Old 10-28-00, 04:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Do you want this to be an addition to your house, with standard sized windows in one or maore walls, 2X4 or 2X6 framing, sheetrocked walls, etc.; or do you want a patio room, in which the longest wall and one adjacent wall has to be 65% open to a height of 80"? Do you plan on heating and/or cooling the room? Start with the answer to those 2 questions and we will go from there. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DippinPete:
Ok, can you tell me (or where I can find) what the technical differences are?

Pete
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>