Deck stairs

Old 11-19-00, 01:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I am hoping to get my lower deck finished before getting snowed out and would like some opinions. I have a 4'x10' landing extending off the main platform with stairs coming from each end down to fairly severe sloping ground. The lower side looks to be about 17 steps down at 7-1/2" x 10 1/2" slope and will be 4' wide. I am looking for suggestions for how to "land" the ends and whether/how to support the middle of the stringers. Unless codes require something specific I would rather not have to dig any more pier holes in this Ozark rock and tree root hillside than necessary. Would using 4 stringers help here? Thanks for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-00, 06:02 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yukon:
I am hoping to get my lower deck finished before getting snowed out and would like some opinions. I have a 4'x10' landing extending off the main platform with stairs coming from each end down to fairly severe sloping ground. The lower side looks to be about 17 steps down at 7-1/2" x 10 1/2" slope and will be 4' wide. I am looking for suggestions for how to "land" the ends and whether/how to support the middle of the stringers. Unless codes require something specific I would rather not have to dig any more pier holes in this Ozark rock and tree root hillside than necessary. Would using 4 stringers help here? Thanks for your thoughts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 11-24-00, 06:06 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fleenta:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
sorry, i misunderstood. i tht. i would get your answer. i am starting to build a deck. just looking for ideas.thanx!!
[email protected]

Old 11-24-00, 02:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Yukon: I can help you with the stair problem.

Where in the Ozarks are you? I am in Springfield.

More than a Carpenter: Home repair & construction

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 11-28-00, 05:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Well, I tried to reply again and hosed up the machine. Now I see I didn't get it done.
MTAC, I am in the Jeff City area and my lot drops off into a ravine at about 35-40 degree slope. In digging the other 20 post holes I encountered rocks from pebble- to football- sized and several 2-3" tree roots.
After reevaluating a little, I find that I will have only 12 steps down and 44" wide, so question #1 is: would I necessarily need support in the middle of the length if using four 2x12 stringers?
Now at this width, I have about 12-13" of height difference from last step to ground due to the side slope. Question #2 is how might I "land" the end of the stringers level and accommodate the slope?
Would piers be appropriate here and how deep?
Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 12-04-00, 07:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Or you could hire me and I could just do it for you.