deck material

Old 03-18-03, 04:30 PM
amature
Visiting Guest
Question deck material

I am having a new deck put onto my house and want to use material that has absolutly the least amount of maintanence with the longest life span. I have been told that the vinyl stuff is probably the way to go however I have a concern that it is difficult to install (cutting to custom lengths etc...). Some of the composites I have been told are good as well but do not want to be tearing it up in 5 or 6 years because it does not last or does not wear well. What is recommended in the composite material for lifespan, maintainence, and ease of installation. Because the deck is not tremendously large, cost really is not a concern of mine.

Old 03-18-03, 08:40 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Use a composite. There are something like 30 or 35 of them out there right now to choose from. I've installed several -- my preference would be Trex. Maintenance is zero -- other than washing it off once in a while.

There are plastic deckings out there. My concerns would be be how well will they tolerate direct sunlite, how slippery will they be, and their workablity as far as installing them.

Woods are going to be a lot of on going maintenance.

Old 03-18-03, 10:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
amature

Here's a link to Certainteed's Boardwalk Decking Page.

http://www.certainteed.com/cfence/cfbw00101.html

I've been installing this material for a few yrs now & I'll never install a wooden deck again.

This is like most other products, you get what you pay for. Good luck with the new deck. Let us know what you decide.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: