Deck Slope

Old 04-07-03, 09:54 AM
aaronr
Visiting Guest
Deck Slope

I'm wondering what the standard sloping for a deck should be to ensure proper water drainage. I will be sloping the deck in line with the decking surface, i.e. along the length of the deck boards. It will be 16' long at the max, so I was thinking 2" across the full 16', but that's a complete guess. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 04-07-03, 01:52 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ordinarily, deck surfaces are not sloped. Water simply drains off the edges of the boards, so sloping for drainage is not necessary.

Old 04-07-03, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
aaronr,

I concur! Deck sloping is not needed...it's an outdoor item and a 2" drop in 16" feet will definitely not feel right to you and your guests!

Sloping a deck 2" that is made to walk on, place furniture on will not avoid the required proper maintenance to keep it looking good! If you are trying to avoid this, better think about an alternative to a wood product.

Good Luck!

Old 04-10-03, 12:57 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Like the guys are telling you -- decks are built level. Runoff is simply not an issue. The water will fall between the deck boards. I will BUILD any deck that a customer wants. But the only deck I will ever put in my yard will be a composite. I simply don't have time for all of the maintenance that is involved with a wood deck. There are about 35 composites on the market right now. Pretty sure you can find one that you like.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: