Closing in under a deck

Old 04-23-03, 05:30 PM
rgcazo
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Closing in under a deck

I have an existing deck and I'd like to make a room under it. The problem is that I do not know how to make the deck waterproof. I was considering making some sort of trough between each joint that would direct the water out and away.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks,
Randy

Old 04-23-03, 06:08 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here's what I did. www.underdeck.com

Here's my deck http://home.mn.rr.com/dtro/deck.jpg

Old 04-23-03, 06:09 PM
C
I would put a roof or its equivalent over the room to keep the water off. The trough idea ignores the possibility that the deck boards might split.

dtro has the very thing, it seems.

Old 04-23-03, 07:46 PM
rgcazo,

You didn't mention if this is to be like a 3 season room or just a enclosed screen porch type affair. As dtro did, one of my projects was made into a large screen porch. Look at this link, bottom of page to see if this is what you are wanting to do for a large screen porch or a 3 season application. This would work fine even if you enclosed it in with glass. Still have deck above and no problem below.

http://www.allprohomeservices.net/pa...7131/index.htm

If you are thinking of something more like an addition, then it's time to consider some major planning, possibly EPDM roof and floating deck above it. This will reduce some height below but this can all be adjusted accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-23-03, 08:02 PM
D
Not sure how the deck boards splitting would affect me as the whole underside is captured. The picture probably doesn't show that. This one shows it a little better
http://home.mn.rr.com/dtro/deck2.jpg

Old 04-23-03, 08:10 PM
dtro,

Yeah, that didn't make sense chfite. What would that have to do with the under deck application? Did I miss something?

Dtr, you should have put another skirt on to over the rim, deck looks sharp! Did you see what I had done?

Old 04-25-03, 12:25 PM
rgcazo
Visiting Guest
I want to make this room an all-season room. I want to make it a family room. I've seen others in my development that have used corregated roofing, but it look like crap.

Does this help?

Thanks,
Randy

Old 04-25-03, 05:44 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The Underdeck system that dtro used would work fine as far as keeping the room under the deck dry, but how would you insulate the ceiling of the room to make it an all-season room? Teh underdeck has a gutter under each joist, and the arched panels between the joists would prevent you from installing insulation between the joists of the deck.

Once you put in the floor for this room, how much ceiling height would you be dealing with? How big would this the room be (projection by width)? What do you have in mind as far as constructing the walls? As an "all-season" room, I assume that you are thinking about heating and cooling it -- what will your local bldg. dept. ALLOW you to do?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: