Wobbly Deck

Old 05-05-03, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Wobbly Deck

I have lived in this house for about 4 years now, and the deck has gotten wobblier and wobblier every year, and the stairs are horrible. The deck is 14 X 14 and is a 2nd floor deck over a patio.
The back is bolted to the house. It has a 4 X 4 post at all 4 corners and 1 post in the middle at the front. The rim is doulble 2 X 8's and a singe on the house side. the deck and railing is pulling up. Can i save this deck and if so how can i strengthen it from moving side to side......more post?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-03, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A 14' X 14' second story deck, supported by 5 4X4's?? It's bolted to the house, and still has 4X4 posts along that edge? (I don't think I need to ask if the posts are cross-braced!!)

Yes sir, it is going to wobble!!

First off, a 4X4 isn't enough post to support a second story deck, UNLESS it was engineered to be that way (Your's wasn't!!)

A deck with a 14' projection and only one beam -- what did they use for joists??

You MAY be able to salvage it, but how old is the deck? Is it worth the effort?? May be quicker, easier, and possibly cheaper to just start from scratch and do it right!