Cleaning and Sealing Flagstone

Old 06-13-03, 07:57 AM
Omnipotent
Visiting Guest
Cleaning and Sealing Flagstone

I've had a FLagstone patio for about 2 years now, and never got around to sealing it. Well now I have a green moss/milde/mold growing over it and it's time to take some action. Is their any products out there for this, or is using a mild detergent, scrub brush and hands and knees the best way. I thought about pressure washing but my Flagstone is "dryset" and I think I would ruin the gavel/grout, or at least make a big mess.

Also after the cleaning process is done what is the best sealer for flagstone that will retaing it's natural color? And I would like to redo the grout lines(so maybe I will pressure wash after all) but I can't use pure concrete because of the cold weather. Because it heaves and cracks in the winter...what is a good alternative? i've seen a show were they used a mortar mix with a much heavier ratio of sand. Thanks

BTW this is in Maryland if you're wondering.

Thanks

JD

Old 06-13-03, 02:28 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
JD

I've pressure washed a flagstone (mortar set) patio recently. It worked very well. You shouldn't have a problem if you only wash the stones and don't hit your gravel joints. Be careful not to use to much pressure, because you run the danger of flaking off a layer of the stone. You could do a pre-wash with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) or similar "grime" cleaner...but I think you'll find the pressure wash does it all. Easy does it.

Unfortunately, I can't help you too much with your joint re-do.

Good luck with the cleaning.

Old 06-16-03, 03:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Find an oxygenated bleach (sodium percarbonate) in crystal form.
It's made for cleaning/brightening wood decks and is basically harmless to grass and plants. It will kill algae, moss, and mildew.
Look for it in the better paint stores.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: