Pau Lope and Cedar?

Old 06-19-03, 07:50 AM
irv63
Visiting Guest
Pau Lope and Cedar?

Hi All,
I am about to have a deck built with 90% PauLope and the rest (ballisters and posts) using cedar.
The total price for deck is about 20,000
I could save 2,000 by using cedar for ballisters and posts.
My 1st question is - am I crazy to be spending so much money for a deck? and 2nd If I am going to do the deck in PauLope, should I try and save the 2k by using the cedar or the fact that it is costing me so much , why cut back at all?
Should I just do it all in PauLope?
I am concerned if i use the cedar , that it will wear out faster than the Pau Lope and therefore cause me bigger problems down the road, so saving the 2k would cost me more later.
The other thought was that it might be a nice contrast to do it with the 2 woods.
Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated.
Thanks

p.s. the deck is 22 x 22 with a sunkin hot tub as well as a different level eating area.

Old 06-19-03, 08:17 AM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
If you're even considering spending 20 large on your deck, then you must have the $$$ to do it. I'd build mine out of gold if I had the money, but I didn't so I had to use cedar.....

Cedar railings and balusters aren't going to wear out any time soon, don't worry about it. Even Cedar decking isn't going to wear out over night.

IPE is like iron and should last a long long time. Good luck!

I almost forgot, yes you are out of your mind to spend that much money on a deck. But who am I to call anyone nuts, I just spent 7k on a gas grill.

Old 06-19-03, 08:23 AM
irv63
Visiting Guest
Unfortunately.....

Originally posted by MeffaDawg
If you're even considering spending 20 large on your deck, then you must have the $$$ to do it. I'd build mine out of gold if I had the money, but I didn't so I had to use cedar.....

Cedar railings and balusters aren't going to wear out any time soon, don't worry about it. Even Cedar decking isn't going to wear out over night.

IPE is like iron and should last a long long time. Good luck!
I really dont have the money OR I shouldnt be using the that much on the deck
We just refinanced and took extra money out, but spending 20k on a deck does seem really crazy , granted the wife and I like nice things.....but I also dont want this deck to look better than my house...LOL Plus it costs more than my cars....LOL
Its funny how once you start shopping , your eyes and tastes are not in line with your pocket book
It also seems crazy to spend that kind of money only to raise your back yard up 4ft.
I have been trying to convince the wife to do a concrete patio and save about 10k.
Well see, we didnt sign anything yet.

Old 06-19-03, 08:25 AM
irv63
Visiting Guest
just out of curiosity..

how much would a multi level deck approx 22x22 cost to build in cedar? and I dont mean just the materials as I would need a builder as well, so how much should I expect to pay for whole job, materials and labor?

Old 06-20-03, 02:42 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Irv63, the only way you will get an accurate answer to that question will be to call a couple of contractors who build decks and get their estimates.

Doing the deck in cedar will cost less than using a composite, but using a composite will mean less maintenance, and will eliminate things like splinters, boards splitting or warping, etc.

Just something to think about. The estimates are (or should be) free, so it costs you nothing to compare the alternatives.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: