Fence Post

Old 06-20-03, 06:51 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fence Post

i am putting up a used picket fence - the eight foot section kind. i plan to connect the sections with 4x4 pressure treated posts. i want to cement them. they will be about 4 feet above ground.... does that mean 1 foot in the groud to cement? (i read on one cement bag to use 20% of the height of the post but i'm not sure even a foot in my case (25% is enough)

question two is - for a 4x4 post - what should the diameter of the hole be?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-03, 03:21 PM
L
I'd put the posts down 15" to 18". Buy 12' posts and cut them in half, or, for even less waste, buy 16's and cut them in thirds.

Old 06-24-03, 07:51 PM
G
another tip is, don't dig all of your post holes at the same time. the reason is that no two panels are alike. one might be 7' 11" and the next one 8' 1" and if you pre dig your holes with all of them on 8' center to center your panels won't line up in the center of the post. the only other way you could pre dig your holes would be to find the shortest panel and cut the rest to match it, but that would be alot of trouble. and when i installed my wood fence i only concreted every other post and it ended up real strong.
gary

Old 06-25-03, 06:04 AM
H
thanks - because of the layout... a little over 100 feet and a few large trees i am going to start with the three toughest holes (each close to a huge tree) and then go each direction.

i don't want a fancy post so i am using 4x4 and i planned to keep them just under the height of the fence (4 feet).

now i am thinking that if i put the post right behind two fence panels then the panels will but up against each other and at the post location i will not have the picket effect (does that make sence??)

any suggestions?

Old 08-06-03, 09:44 AM
H
Another Question

Just started installing this picket fence with 4x4 posts (8 foot sections o fpicket fence).

first three holes were fairly easy to dig. next two can not dig because of tree roots. i start at 8 foot lengths and then tries to dig holes from the 8 foot mark down to about 6 foot and no luch (because i can cut the fence so no big deal is a length is 6 instead of 8) but there os not place to dig between the last solid post and the next 16 feet.

the roots i run into are a few inches thick (and a few feet from one tree). i dod not want to cut any roots that are over and inch think because i want to keep the tree....

1) if i dig two holes 8 feet apart (still close to the tree) and cut through a couple ver thick roots (2-4 inches in diameter) will this harm the tree?

2) what else can i do to get a solid post when i can not dig more than 2 inched into the groud? (what i did was build a for 12 inches square and 8 inches high and cemented an square 8 inches high around the post..... not too sturdy but may work.