evergrain deck composite

Old 06-23-03, 07:06 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
evergrain deck composite

Hello:

I'm planning a new deck and actively researching alternatives to PT wood. I'm looking at Evergrain (manufactured by EPOCH). Amongst the multiple composites currently on the market, my contractor is NOT recommending Trex, and I have pretty much ruled out TREX based on his recommendtaion as well as independent research. The contractor mentioned that TREX CANNOT be pressure washed and prone to mold. Evergain CAN be pressure washed, but nothing is mold free - it is just that TREX seems to have a more significant problem than other materials.

Can anyone share their experience with the Evergrain composite?? I'm more interested in seeking information regarding installations that have been in for a longer time (>1 year). It will be a fairly large deck (650sq ft) and represents a large investment for us. Also, the contractor is proposing a $30 per/sq charge, which includes Evergrain boards, rail tops, and steps. 6X6 posts, joists, and rail pickets are PT wood. I'm not sure how competitive the cost proposal is, but would welcome comments.

Thanks
tom

Old 06-23-03, 04:22 PM
paris401
Visiting Guest
tom..we too are building a large deck. i checked a lot of the materials, and i too was turned off by trex horror stories.

i checked the pure plastics (ecoboard/etc), and like them , but was concerned about the expanding and contracting. was worried that after some time, the fastners will work loose.

checked the composites like evergrain, choicedek, etc but chose weatherbest. i like the look of the material

extremely difficult to get 'real world' info on these composites as they have been around a short time.

as to cost , i am paying about 35 bucks a foot, which a few people on this board/others have said is very expensive. ofcourse my deck is some 25ft off the ground, my builder is covering the vertical beams with white vinyl, and he doubled every other floor beam, 12'' oc anticapating we were going with ecoboard.

my builder just started laying the weatherbest last week. if u want in a week or two i can email u some pics

Old 06-23-03, 07:44 PM
As info,
All composites can be pressure washed, they just don't need the higher pressures to remove old dead grey wood fibers.
Mold usually doesn't grow on non-organic materials - you probably mean mildew. Mildew can be killed/removed with an oxygenated bleach.

fred

Old 06-23-03, 10:31 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Fred,

you're right -- no reason a composite can't be pressure washed. Mold isn't much of a problem, but mildew certainly can be.

paris401,

$35/ft., 25' off the ground, in New York City -- I'm guessing that THAT is a bargain!!

tom2002,

given the right conditions, Trex natural seems to be very suseptible to mildew. The winchester gray can be too, but doesn't seem to be as bad. The 3 "color fast" colors (saddle, maderia, and woodland brown) seem to be pretty much immune to the problem. Composites have only been around for about 10 years -- Trex was the first, and the rest of them appear to be listening to the negative comments that have been made about Trex and trying their own bits of marketing strategy from there. Not sure why your contractor is saying that Trex can't be pressure washed -- I've never had a problem doing it yet!!

Old 06-24-03, 04:38 AM
T
Thanks to all that responded. To add some more detail, my contractor stated that Trex cannot (maybe me meant "should not") be pressure washed because the moisture from the pressure works into the Trex material and causes the mildew. He also mentioned that he has a Trex deck - but regrets using the material.

Old 06-24-03, 03:12 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That's where the contractor is making his mistake. You use a deck wash / cleaning product that contains sodium hypochlorite and detergent to remove the mildew from Trex -- NOT a pressure washer. The pressure washer works just fine for removing DIRT, but a garden hose and a spray nozzle is usually all you need to do that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: