Best method of attaching a header joist?

Old 06-24-03, 01:23 PM
badams2000
Visiting Guest
Best method of attaching a header joist?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some input on what the best method is of attaching the header joist on a deck. I've got a ledger attached to the house, a 15' joist span, two intermediate beams, and a three foot cantilever at the end.

I was going to use joist hangers on the header but after really thinking about it, the joists are resting on the beams, so there will be little to no downward pressure on the header joist. That probably makes joist hangers somewhat useless. I'm thinking about just nailing the header into the joist ends, maybe using three nails angled up and three angled down or something. I have 45 degree angles on the corners so I have some braces for those.

The only significant pressure I can foresee is from leaning on the railing, the posts of which will be bolted to the inside of the header.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe I should use a 90 degree brace on each side of the joist ends, but then I'm almost back to using a joist hanger, so maybe those are the best option after all. Now I'm talking myself in circles...

Thanks,

Brad

Old 06-24-03, 03:19 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just nail or screw the rim joist to the ends of the joists.

Locate the rail posts in the corner formed by the rim joist and a joist, then through-bolt the post to each joist with 3/8" bolts -- 2 bolts through each of the joists, one near the top, and one near the bottom -- 4 bolts for each post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: