Deck Lighting - Custom Lamp Posts vs Other Options

Old 07-05-03, 08:18 AM
Augie05
Visiting Guest
Deck Lighting - Custom Lamp Posts vs Other Options

I am having a deck built by a very good "custom" deck builder in North Carolina. Part of his "signature" design is custom lamp posts built into the railing system of the deck. He typically builds 3 or 4 of these custom lamp posts into each of the decks he builds. The design looks very nice (my wife really likes them) but I am wondering how functional they will be. The deck builder designs and builds the lamp posts while the home owner picks out the lamp of their choice from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. The lights are regular voltage lights that are typically used in the front of a house on a lamp pole.

Questions:

Do you consider this a practical means to light a deck or would I be better served to go with an alternative method like low voltage lights ?

Will these lights just attract insects to my deck?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-03, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Augie05,

First off, any light will attract the bugs. No way around this.

Second is do what you want to see out there! If you like the builders ideas, go with it.

Low voltage would be less costly to operate but in real life, the amount of time folks use their deck after dark is rare...reason..BUGS! So low voltage or 110v doesn't make a difference. You would have more assortment of lighting fixtures if you choose 110v units. Bear in mind, dimmers can be placed on these to enhance the look to what you want.

If you had a screened in portion, this would be a different story and you would be out there alot more.

Hope this helps!.

Old 07-08-03, 12:08 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think Doug just answered your last quetion -- YES -- lites WILL attract bugs!! Doesn't matter whether they are regular voltage or low voltage -- THE BUGS WILL COME!!

Dimmers -- they will create the "mood" you want -- but the bugs will still come!

Screen the deck in, and put the lights inside the screen -- VOLIA!! a NATURAL dimmer! The bugs can only get to the screen in their quest to get to the light!

Old 07-08-03, 04:28 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
When I built my deck last year, I used rope lights mounted under the top rail of the railing all around the deck. Gave a very nice indirect low light. Plenty for everything but reading or grilling. I added a quartz halogen light above on the wall of the house for a higher, general lighting. If anyone can figure out how to get rid of bugs without screening, they will become very rich!

Bruce