deck to screen porch

Old 07-07-03, 07:54 PM
Billy Boy
Visiting Guest
deck to screen porch

I want to convert my deck to a three season porch. I need to know how to attach the roof. I'm looking for plans to attach a flat roof to a flat roof. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-03, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Billy Boy,

I can't really recommend any place to get plans to do what you are proposing. This is usally left up to the Contractor/Designer/Architect as to reviewing current site conditions and draw plans from what is seen and what is required from a structural standpoint, local Building Codes, all that is required in submitting for a Building Permit.

There is no ready made set of plans for this that would be acceptable by your local building officials. Plans should include all demolition work, existing foundation layout, main floor layout, elevation views, section details as to how roofs will tie into each other, if they will be offset, methods of drainage, types of mateials used, detailed sections, birdseye roof view, roof framing layout and details, electrical layouts, etc. You don't find all this in a book unless you're talking about new construction and even then it will not be for what you are working on.

Dependng on what you have now for rafters will usually be your basic guide to what needs to be done. A new beam could be installed, you could rest new rafters on existing top plate and go out from there, all this depends on span, size of rafter needed, where you live, what is acceptable by Codes in your area. Methods and options available is based upon a good site review.

Again having someone who has the knowledge in this area is a real asset. Consult local Contractors/Designers or Architects to assist with this venture.

Good Luck!