deck finishing

Old 07-10-03, 09:03 AM
wbrudolp
Visiting Guest
deck finishing

I have recently used a pressure washer to clean my cedar deck. Now I want to finish the deck and want to know whether I can use a sprayer to apply the finish. Also if I can is there a product which might be best to apply with a sprayer? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-03, 03:18 PM
bberry
Visiting Guest
deck finishing

Sorry I don't have your answer but I do have a question. I have a cedar deck and want to clean it. Did you have any trouble with the pressure washer as fas as damaging the wood and did it do a thorough job? Thanks

Old 07-11-03, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The recommended cleaner/brightener for cedar is Oxalic acid.
A lower pw setting is required as the cedar is softer than pt lumber. 800 or 100 psi may be more than enough for cedar. If you do get some 'fuzzies', some 80 or 100 grit paper will smooth it out.

wbrudolp - an airless sprayer will work fine, you may need to back brush the same as if you rolled the stain on. Pump up garden sprayers are spotty and don't work very well for stain.
If you spray, watch out for wind. Don't want your siding or the neighbor's white car all speckled. I prefer rolling and brushing.

fred

Old 07-13-03, 08:49 AM
wbrudolp
Visiting Guest
Reply to bberry

I did not have any trouble with power washing my cedar deck. You must, however, be very careful. I used a gasoline powered (not electric) washer with capacity of 2 GPM (gallons per minute) and pressure up to 2400 PSI. It did a good job (I had quite an accummulation of dirt and mold on my cedar deck). After washing it does not look new (deck was built 18 years ago) but it looks very good.

wbrudolp