Porch deck waterproofing

Old 07-12-03, 06:44 PM
Lloyd C Forry
Visiting Guest
Porch deck waterproofing

I have an old porch with lap type boards for decking nailed to regular floor joists. Underneath the porch is part of the basement crawl space. approximate 6 feet high. When it rains, the water goes right through the floor and creates a river that empties through the back of the basement. I need to cover the front porch with a water proof surface. What kind of material is available to do this? I would think I could use a rubber type mebrane and then cover it with a new decking?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-03, 07:14 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is why there are shingles on roofs. There is almost nothing that comes to mind that would seal the joints between the boards long term. They may be tongue and groove, as you said.

Putting a membrane between two layers of wood puts one of them at risk of rotting away from constant moisture.

You could replace the decking with a monolithic concrete surface.

There may be some way to apply a monolithic waterproof surface over the wood. Something flexible in the way that a racquetball court floor is. It seems unlikely that wood could be applied over it, because it would still trap water.

There is a product called deck drain.

http://deckdrain.com/default.asp

As an example, it would collect the water from beneath the porch and allow it to be discharged elsewhere. There are other, similar products that achieve the same end with similar techniques.

HTH