The Deck is done !!!!

Old 07-14-03, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking The Deck is done !!!!

Took me long enuff to get the pics up, but here they are. this is Weather Best grey decking, (actually olive greenish), and cedar railings w/ cabots clear deck stain in natural

(copy and paste this link to your command line)

http://www.geocities.com/fatkid66/deckpics

furniture comes this week!!!WOOOHOOOO

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-03, 02:03 PM
Wow!! That looks fabulous! I'm sure you're happy it's done and you'll really enjoy it! So...when's the party?! jk
Congrats!
Sandie

Old 07-14-03, 07:03 PM
fatkid66,

Excellent Job! Pics look great! Now question of the day...

What was your deck size and material costs for others to understand what it takes! Also where you live as this does make a difference to some degree.

Congrats on a great job!

Old 07-15-03, 12:42 AM
L
GREAT JOB fatkid.

Don't know how you managed to get it done without Doug, and Jack, and me, and Fred, and... there to supervise, but you DID IT!!

(AHH!! We were there in spirit and via e-mail and/or posts -- NOW I UNDERSTAND!!)

Weather Best -- not a bad choice. I'm sure that you and the family will be getting many years of enjoyment out of the deck.

Now, for the questions.

That's the 5/4" WB? Did you put the brushed side or the woodgrain side up?? Let us know in a couple of years if you see 'foot traffic' patterns in the etching, especially around the door and the stairs.

The railings look great, but how far apart are the pickets?? (Kind of hard to judge in the pictures.) I ask because they APPEAR to be awfully far apart. You are in PA, and, if I'm not mistaken, governed by BOCA codes. I don't know what YOUR code says about the spacing in the railing openings. I build a very similar railing, but have to do it under ICBO codes here in CA. Here, the pickets couldn't be more than 4" apart with that syle of railing. (I use a 2X4 for my spacer.)

Doug already asked how big and how much. So, how big, and how much?? From the photos, I'm guessing the deck is about 20 ft. wide and has about a 15 ft. projection. That's 300 sq. ft., plus the stairs. From there. I would guess about $4,000 for the materials, plus your labor.

And finally, how did you manage to get it done without Doug, and Jack, and me, and Fred, and...

GREAT JOB, MY FRIEND!!!

Old 07-15-03, 07:14 AM
C
Nice job. And just in time for summer.

Old 07-15-03, 07:15 AM

(fatkid ducks down to hide from the rocks being thrown)

didnt mean to mislead you guys, this one wasn't me. this was one job that i didn't feel sure about tackling myself, and also time would be a huge factor w/ all the ot ive been doing at work, i would probably be still working on it next summer. i hired a local guy w/ good references and rep. total cost for the deck and removing the three lite casement window and adding a new header for the new door all total was $11,600. im in NE NJ, and the deck is indeed 5/4 WB with the woodgrain face up. (the other side appeared to show scratches more). the railings and lattice are all cedar the framing is PT. no pt showing at all and the stairs are closed treads. there is an access panel to get under. the deck isnt hot at all in the sun and wasnt slippery when it was wet this past week. lefty you are exactly right the deck is19' across the back, and projects out 15'. this was supposed to be turned 90 deg, but w/ the rear setback(previuos posts) we had to make due.(if we went for the var. we would still be waiting). ill measure the spacing for you and according to Cat the inspector was real thorough in his insp as he also crawled around under the deck for a while?!!?!?

on to my part in this i will be putting some deck lights and some other elect type stuff. will post back w/ more pics as i get done. thanks to all of you guys for your help cause even tho i hired out, if not for your guys advice and help re: variances, decking choice, etc, i probably would not be as happy w/ it as i am!!!!

the next proj will be removing 2 double hungs in the den and reinstalling the 3 lite casement window there. i feel brave enuff to tackle that one!!!(w/ all your help!!)thanks again!!!

Last edited by fatkid66; 07-17-03 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 09:16 PM
S
fk, dang nice deck and looks good with the house. Bet the neighbors want one now. Do us poor ole' country boys from the backroads of NE Louisiana get invited to the back yard grillin'??? Huh, HuH, HUH!!!

Old 07-16-03, 06:41 AM
the more the merrier as far as im concerned!!!!

that might be a good way to get help w/ the paver walkway and the shed and the window...

grab a beer, grab a tool and lets get at it!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-03, 06:45 AM
fatkid66,

Any idea what your deck came out to per sq. ft material and labor?

What was your reason for choosing Weather Best?

Just curious...

Old 07-16-03, 09:39 AM
i figure $30/ft sq total. the door p+l was $3000. i dont know the breakdown, but i can ask. wb was the best looking out of the ones we looked at, and at the lumberyard they had some outside displays that showed that to be true. we also looked at trex, fiberon and some others.

Old 07-16-03, 09:45 AM
fatkid66,

Thanks for the info, others are probably wondering so this gives them a good insight to costs, at least in your area.

Old 07-16-03, 09:49 AM
how does this sound to you??? alot...about right?

Old 07-16-03, 10:26 AM
fatkid66,

I have had a couple of projects done out your way and I have noticed that the costs are higher out there.

Your project is high off the ground, the lattice work, stair, rails all play a factor in cost. Around here it would cost around $22 - $26 for something similar. Obviously, when someone uses all w/t lumber, then we can easily see that go down to $15 sf. Nothing wrong with your price for what you used.

I have to admit that what I see looks really great and that is what everyone has to remember. You get what you pay for! If you go cheap, low bidder, poor material, then you know how it will look.

Hats off to you for getting a good contractor who delivered and now you can enjoy it.

Old 07-16-03, 10:38 AM
we thought it was a bit steep but as you said we wanted it to be the best we could get. hearing that from you helps me to feel better that we made the right choice!! Thanks for the input !!!

Old 07-18-03, 02:41 PM
L
Fatkid66, $30/ft. is not a bad price at all, especially with the deck being pretty far above grade, therefore a fairly long set of steps, plus the lattice work, plus the railing. Sure, it was a lot of dollars, but 15X19 is a pretty fair amount of deck too! That was just money well invested as far as I can see. And, at least from the pics, it certainly appears that the contractor did a really nice job. A nice job on the door, too. And you and the wife are happy.

Old 07-21-03, 06:37 AM
we are indeed thrilled, i just think w/ all large ticket purchases you still experience that lingering doubt if you did the right thing or not. we absolutely love it and are out there in the morn b4 work and in the eves after the kiddies are out. got the new furniture and are now waiting for grills to go onsale to fill in the bump out(3'x5') they put in for it!!! Thanks again for all your guys support!!