Oak floor on front porch

Old 07-15-03, 08:07 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oak floor on front porch

I have some rotted spots on in the tongue & groove oak flooring on my front porch. Is there any product I can fill the floor with after I dig out all the rot. The area will probably be about 1/2" deep. It is in kind of a tight spot so I don't want to try to router it out nad put a piece of wood back in. Thanks Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-03, 08:20 PM
C
Some wood putty might do the trick.

HTH

Old 07-15-03, 08:45 PM
T
I put some wood putty in but it takes forever to dry in the humid weather. And these are thin layers and I have a few spots to do. I was hoping to find some sort of epoxy type wood filler that cure by chemical raction versus air curing. Thanks Tim

Old 07-15-03, 08:55 PM
TimH,

Try this, from Minwax...

http://paint-and-supplies.aubuchonha...ler-793803.asp

Hope this helps!

Old 07-15-03, 08:56 PM
S
Tim,
Can you get a skill saw and cut down the length of the plank and carefully chisel is out? Depending on the width of plank usually about three cuts is sufficient, just make sure you don't cut past the ends or cut into the tongue & groove area. Take your time chiseling and you can get the plank out cleanly and be sure to clean up well before fitting the plank, even a small piece of trash can keep it from going to place well. You can usually find a plank that matches grain pretty well and cut the bottom of the groove away so it will drop in place over the tongue of the adjacent plank. Use your miter saw to assure a square edge before measuring and cutting the plank and make sure you cut full length, don't leave space at ends but not so tight you have to hammer in. Once you have that done I'd set the plank in place using epoxy and you can sand and finish in a few minutes.

If replacing is absolutely not an option you my want to try a rotted wood stabilizer. It will harden the rotted wood and is sandable and paintable but NOT stainable. Not much of an option but maybe better than nothing.

Old 07-16-03, 05:12 PM
T
Thanks for the advice Scrollmaster. The problem is this area that I am trying to fill is directley under the post that supports the roof. I have to replace part of the post but I don't have enough room to fit a circular saw or router between the end of the post and the floor. I don't really care what I fill this rotted out area with because it is underneath this support post. I have put Elmers exterior wood putty in the area I'm trying to fill but it takes forever to dry and I have to do it in thin layers making it take even longer. So I thought that someone may know of an epoxy type filler that dries by chamical reation not by air drying. Any Suggestions?????

Old 07-16-03, 05:22 PM
C
Car body filler?

Old 07-16-03, 05:34 PM
T
You know I thought about that chfite! I wasn't sure about how it would expand & contract with the wood though....Tim

Old 07-16-03, 06:08 PM
S
Chris is right as rain. I should have thought of that myself because I've used it before and it is about as cheap as anything you'll buy. Bondo makes a body filler for wood but the auto bondo works great and you can buy it about anywhere including Auto Zone, Walmart, etc. I used it to fix the edges of a couple cabinet doors for an elderly lady. A couple of her doors had a piece broken off as well as a large dent where something fell against them. She could not afford to have new doors made so I mixed the bondo, pre shaped it on the doors and once it hardened I sanded out and painted and looked great and didn't cost her much. I did drill a few holes in the wood at different angles to help prove physical retention but the stuff looked like it bonded right to the wood very well.
~the scrollmaster~
PS - If you can't get the rotted wood up I would still put some of the Rotted Wood Stabliizer on first to seal and harden the soft area. The can I have is made by Bondo like the body filler and according to the instructions is compatible with all wood fillers.