1 x 2 fence boards

Old 07-17-03, 05:19 PM
Another_Marcie
Visiting Guest
1 x 2 fence boards

My yard has cedar fencing on 2 sides and I'd like to fence the 3rd with a matching fence. The problem is the boards on the existing are 1" x 2" x 6 ft. Does anyone know where I might find those boards? Or a board I could rip to end up with that size? The existing ones are a true 1" by 2"

Thanks for any answers or suggestions
Marcie

Old 07-17-03, 07:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another_Marcie,

If they are a true 1x2 then you may have to see what is available through a major lumber yard - not a HD!

I'm sure that they may have some resources available. If the cost is prohibitive, then consider going with 1x6 Cedar and rip it to the actual 2" width and you'll have waste but this is an option.

I would even consider ripping a 1x6 into 3 pcs - this will not look bad at all and then you don't have to have any waste. Boards would be about 1 3/4" when cut. Is it necessary to have the same width as the 2 sides? Would 1x4 Cedar be out of the question?

Just a thought!

Old 07-18-03, 02:01 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
These sound a lot like the old redwood or cedar grape stakes. Are they flat (or square) on all 4 sides, or just on the one side attached to the rail and the 2 edges, with the face (away from the rail) being very rough and not at all smooth?? If that is what they are, I don't know of anyplace that you will find them. Closest that you will come will be to rip your own out of a 1X6, like Doug said. Another alternative would be to simply install the new 1X6's, and when you change out the older sections of fencing, use 1X6 there too. Nowhere is it written that all of your fences have to match! Mine don't, at least not now. They will in a few years, when I get the neighbors on each side to go in with me for new fencing. But for now, I live with 1X6's on one side, 1X12's on the other, and 1X8's across the back.

Old 07-21-03, 05:54 AM
Another_Marcie
Visiting Guest
Ripping a 1x6 would be fine with me but I do have one follow-up question. Since 1x6's aren't truly 1" thick would having the narrower, approx 2" width, make for too flimsy a board? Too wafer-like without the wider 6 inches providing strength? It's going to be either 5 or 6 ft high.

To answer Lefty's question.. the existing boards look the same on all 4 sides to me.

And I agree about all fencing not having to match.. just seeing if it was even an option in this case. If ripping the 1x6's results in too flimsy a board I'll definitely go with the regular 1x6 or 1x4. Don't want to end up with a fence with a boardwitdth that matches the existing but doesnt have strength!

Thanks to both of you for your replies

Old 07-21-03, 07:04 AM
Another_Marcie,

I would have to say that being flimsy would be based upon the horizontal members - do you have any between the top and bottom like 1 or 2?

If not or just one, ripping them would be fine. I would agree that the 1x4 would be the better option if you have any concerns about the strength. Lefty may have a thought on this as well.

Good Luck!

Old 07-21-03, 10:39 AM
L
The narrower the boards, the weaker they are going to be, especially if you have a knot in the board. Using 3 horizontal rails would certainly strengthen the fence, regardless of whether you go with a 5' or a 6' height. Top rail down 8" from the top of the fence, bottom rail up 8" from the bottom, and the 3rd rail centered between them. It would also help keep the boards from warping, or bowing in and out.

Shop around and see if you can find 5/4 fence boards. They will be a full inch thick, whereas a 1X is only going to be 3/4" thick.

Old 07-21-03, 11:14 AM
Another_Marcie
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys. I think I'm set. Sure appreciate the help

Marcie

Old 07-21-03, 05:51 PM
S
And don't forget a 1x6 is only 5 1/2" wide and after making 2 cuts on table saw with 1/8" carbide blade you'll lose another 1/4" to the blade width so that leaves 5 1/4" which would yield 2 - 2" slats and 1 - 1 1/4" slat or 3 - 1 3/4" slats.

Old 07-21-03, 05:58 PM
scrollmaster,

That was already mentioned earlier in my post. I offered it as an option but I mentioned there would be waste.

Lefty's suggestion would be more viable for what is needed.

Old 07-22-03, 03:42 PM
L
So you take a 1X6 (or 5/4X6) and rip it into 2 pieces that are each 1-3/4" wide, leaving you a third piece that is 1-3/4" wide, plus or minus. Use all 3 pieces. Use all 3 sticks!! So what if one is a 1/16" too wide or 1/16" too narrow?? It's just a fence, and NOBODY (other than maybe Doug or I) would ever think to actually go out and measure the #$^%%* boards!!

Old 07-22-03, 04:03 PM
S

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: