Question on grading a brick walkway

Old 07-22-03, 09:27 AM
thevolcanogod
Visiting Guest
Question on grading a brick walkway

I am planning on cracking up the cement walkway that leads from my driveway to my front porch and replacing it with an un-mortared bricked walkway. Thanks to this site I think I have the process down except for one question particular to my envisioned design.

My new house has a garage that sticks out past the porch on the right side of the house, which means that the house and garage form a rectangular “niche”. Right now there is a simple concrete path leading to the porch that leaves a small rectangle of earth in this “niche” in which the previous owners planted flowers that died because it is shaded by the garage overhang and porch. What I want to do is brick in this entire area to form a “mini patio” in the front of the house with the walkway extending out of the bottom right corner past the front of the garage and connecting to the driveway.

My problem is: everything I have read has said to grade your soil for a slope of 1” for every 4-8 feet for runoff. I would like the water to run away from my porch and off the front edge of my mini patio, however, I also have the walkway to deal with. If I grade it in the same direction as the mini patio it will be slightly “twisted” from side to side and the front edge that attaches to the driveway will be higher on one corner than the other. Am I agonizing over trivial things here, since the difference will only be about a half inch buckle max. or is there another solution? My gut instinct is that I am trying to be “too perfect” here and that I should just “go with it” and it will look fine, but would like some reassurance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-03, 04:34 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Go with a minimum slope of 1" in 10' from the house out, along the wall of the garage. The first couple of feet along the garage wall need to slope away from that wall so you don't have runoff trying to invade the garage.

Since you are using a mortarless brick paver system, the runoff is going to go DOWN between the pavers -- not run off across the top of them. Your grading will have to be done in the dirt that is the basis for this patio. You can adjust the sand that the pavers sit on for level, or slope as needed. You might start out with as little as 4" of sand in the corner of the house and garage and have 10", 12" or even more of sand in the corner diagonal from there, depending on the slope of the lot you are dealing with.

Old 08-04-03, 11:07 AM
thevolcanogod
Visiting Guest
Thanks.

One thing more - I will be attaching the front lip of the walkway to a pre-existing asphalt driveway and want them to be level after the walkway sinks.

I will be using a 1" sand layer over a 4" crushed rock layer and will be using a vibrating tamper on the final path.

About how much should I set the bricks up from the asphalt driveway so that they will be level when the walkway settles?

Old 08-04-03, 08:31 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tamp it once more than you think you need to, then once for good measure, anf then and extra time, just to be sure. Then , set the bricks level. (You can always raise them next year if you need to.)