Pt Vs Composite To Replace Cedar

Old 07-25-03, 07:50 AM
jwr02
Visiting Guest
Question Pt Vs Composite To Replace Cedar

last year I built a cedar deck and this spring it is cracking all over. Even when I walk across it you can hear a crackling sound. Also had a bad experience w/ Cabots cleaner. Left a white pulpy residue over the entire deck and is almost impossible to wash/sand out. So dissapointed in this cedar I am considering re-decking w/ composite or even PT (Seems PT is stronger than cedar). I have heard the horror stories @ Trex and not sure if I want to spend the $$$ unless I know I will be VERY satisfied. Any thoughts on Weatherbest or other composites. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-03, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cedar, PT, or any other wood is going to require a lot of upkeep -- cleaning regularly, annual sealing, and eventually replacing some boards due to splitting, warping, rotting, etc. And you will dealing with spinters.

Composites like Trex, WB, etc. will eliminate the annual sealing or staining, the board replacement, and the splinters. But you still have to keep it clean!

Not sure what "horror stories @ Trex" you are referring to, unless the deck owner had a Trex deck installed and then simply ignored it. If you do that with ANY deck, you will probably have a mold or mildew problem. (Don't blame the decking, blame the owner!!)

There are something like 30 or 35 composites on the market. EACH has something different to offer. My preference would be either Trex or WB, but YOU, just like my customers, are the one who has to live with the deck. Choose what YOU want and want to live with!

Old 07-26-03, 10:04 AM
If you cleaned the cedar with an Oxalic acid wash (the preferred cleaner/brightener for cedar), you just didn't rinse off the oxalic good enough. It can show some crystalization if not rinsed thoroughly. Rinse good again with water and a very light pressure washing.

fred

Old 07-27-03, 08:24 AM
paris401
Visiting Guest
we are installing a pretty large deck and made the choice of weatherbest. we saw a couple of trex decks, and did not like the way they looked , and 2 were under 12 months old.

we were able to see only 1 weatherbest installation, and it looked good, but ofcourse it was only 1 year old.

i think its a 'crap-shoot' with composites as they are so new to the market... actually its an 'expensive' crap-shoot...

Old 07-27-03, 11:15 AM
Good points paris401.

A deck IS a big investment -- a home improvement that will take a lot of dollars to do. That will be the case whether you choose wood or a composite, whether you DIY or hire it done. And it is going to be around for a long time. You want to put a LOT of thought into it's design and what the finished product will be before you start the actual construction. (This is true of ANY major renovation or addition to your home!)

A person looking at a composite deck needs to research what's available and choose the one that will work best for them and what they are going to be happy with. They are going to be living with it for YEARS!

Yes, a composite deck will cost more to build than a wood deck. But, after 10 years, the cost of ownership will be less. You'll be cleaning the deck, but you won't be staining or sealing it annually, and you won't be replacing deck boards that have warped, split, rotted, etc.

Old 07-29-03, 07:40 AM
jwr02
Visiting Guest
thanks to all for your help. i am going to look @ Trex again. WB seems too pricey. I am still concerned about the stories i've heard of Trex spotting up, but maybe periodic cleaning will do the trick. looking @ the natural tone. anybody know of how it weathers/fades? thanks agian

Old 07-29-03, 05:16 PM
jwr02,

It may be different where you are, but around here Trex is a little pricier than WB. (about $.30 to $.40 per running foot more.)

Trex Natural is going to fade to a light gray color. Ask your retailer to show you the Trex Color Pallet brochure. It shows all 5 colors when new, and what they will look like in about 12 weeks. Choose your color based on what they WILL BE! Also, the Natural seems to be the color most susceptible to spotting from mold/mildew. Winchester Gray is probably the second most susceptible. You might want to look at the Saddle. Virtually no color change, and, when kept clean, mold/mildew doesn't seem to be a problem with it.

Old 07-30-03, 08:39 AM
jwr02
Visiting Guest
Thanks Lefty: I spoke w/ my supplier yesterday. They have discontinued Trex natural due to more noticable staining. I am in MD and Trex (@ $1.69/lnft) appears to be cheaper than WB. Looking @ the Medira or sadle color, with endurance vinyl over aluminum rails. Wife of course will have final say. Any experience w/ Endurance rail systems.

Old 07-30-03, 07:43 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
I have Saddle Trex for a little over a year now and I'm very pleased with both the color and the way it is performing. The color has lightened like I was hoping it would, and with the performance part I simply pressure washed it this spring and it looks great! I didn't realize just how dirty it got over the winter until I took the pressure washer to it. Cleaned up very easily and quickly.

I also have 2 Cedar decks as well. I love them and wouldn't consider going to P.T. over Cedar or composite. Everyone who knows me here knows how much I simply hate P.T. Just one of those things I guess.