covering a cement slab with a wooden deck

Old 07-25-03, 11:42 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
covering a cement slab with a wooden deck

i have a cement slab deck behind my house, how would i cover it with a wooden deck? thanks trull ac

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-03, 12:29 PM
I had a similar situation with a slab about 8 X 10. It was actually a back step/slab with stairs. First, I made sure foundation of the thing was sufficiently strong and deep so it wasn't going to be moving in different ways than the deck footings. (I was building a deck which was bigger than the slab and was incorporating it.

I laid 2X4 sleepers over the slab and bolted 2X8 stringers around the 3 sides (one side was up against the house). Their tops were even with the tops of the sleepers. Nailed it all together. Made the deck joists the same height as the top of the sleepers. Ran the decking over everything.

I don't know if this is anything like your situation. Is your slab raised? At ground level? Post more.

Old 07-25-03, 12:59 PM
T
my slab is raised, and i intend to make the deck bigger then the slab

Old 07-26-03, 07:53 AM
L
How much height do you have to play with? From the top of the slab to the bottom of any door thresholds, how may inches? From there, it is simply a matter of subtracting. You want the deck to be at least an inch below the bottom of the threshold. How thick of a decking will you be using? Laying PT 2X4 sleepers on the slab, like abNORMal suggested, works -- that will use up another 1-1/2" of the height you have available.

An inch below the door, plus 1" or 1-1/2" for the decking, plus 1-1/2" for the sleepers -- that's 3-1/2" to 4". Subtract that from the height you have available, and that is what your joists will need to be.

Be careful which direction you lay the sleepers. The slab SHOULD have a slope to it. (Probably something around 1/10" / ft.) Lay the sleepers so they are running down hill with the slope, NOT across it. You want water to be able to run off of the slab. You don't want the sleepers to act like dams.