Composite Decking

Old 07-27-03, 12:41 PM
quantel62
Visiting Guest
Question Composite Decking

Okay everyone, I'm in the process of building a deck. It will actually be a two tier model built in two stages. One this summer, one next. (Due to $$$$).

Now I've read all the posts regarding composite decking. Lots of helpful info and interesting discussions.

It seems everyone agrees that composite decking gets hot, but then what doesn't in 90 deg. plus summers. And that you have expansion in the summer. In my climate we do get some brief periods of 90 plus days, but my main concern is winter weather. We have long period of extreme cold....winters -10 to -40 from Nov to March, give or take a bad year. Any ideas how composites stand up?

When I am deciding how to fasten the decking, should the extreme weather conditions be taken into consideration? I was thinking of using the hidden track system.

Also, the only three composites that are available in my area are,

1) Trex Deck
2) Choice Deck
3) Rhino Deck (made my Master Mark Plastics)

So, needless to say I shouldn't have too much of a problem choosing, with only 3 choices. I have read what has been said about Trex and Choice, has anyone had any experiences using Rhino Deck.

Any input would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-03, 09:10 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, the temperature extremes have to be taken into consideration. But, the composites are exactly the opposite of wood -- composites swell when the temp. rises and shink in the cold. Wood, on the other hand, swell when they are wet (winter) and shink when they get warm (summer).

Assuming that you will be building the deck in the summer, space the boards 1/8" apart, and leave an 1/8" gap between the ends of the boards. Next winter, when the boards get cold and shink, the gaps will INCREASE. Not a concern. Next summer, when the boards get warm and swell, they will have the space they need to do so without a problem.