Flagstone on existing concrete

Old 07-28-03, 04:04 PM
Steve6500
Visiting Guest
Flagstone on existing concrete

I have an existing concrete-aggregate patio (about 1000 sq. ft.) that I want to resurface with flagstone (random pattern). The existing patio is about 5 years old and was poured in 3 sections 7 inches thick with an expansion joint in between the sections.

Will the concrete slabs move independently and cause cracks in the grout (or worse, the flagstone)? Is there any way to prevent this?

I'd also like to bring irrigation and wiring to a couple of locations in the middle of the patio and imagined a groove about 1" deep and 1" wide being cut in the existing concrete, pipe laid in the groove, and then mud and flagstone laid on top. Is this realistic?

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-03, 05:50 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steve,

You might have better luck in the Masonary forum with this one.

3 seperate slabs are going to move in different directions at different rates. A good chance that will crack the mortar between the flagstones. But in a mild climate like Frisco, the chances of cracking one of the stones is pretty remote. You don't get cold enough to have frost heave in the winter, not do you have the 115 degree plus days in the summer that your neighbor in Redding has to work in!! (That would be me!)

Old 08-01-03, 01:37 PM
Steve6500
Visiting Guest
Good points. Of course we have earthquakes that you don't have but I suspect the 3 separate slabs will be the least of my worries in that case.

Thanks for replying,
Steve

Old 08-01-03, 10:01 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steve, we HAVE the earthquakes!! It's just that none of ours are as major as yours!!! (I was in Fairfield 10-4-89. AMAZING!!)