securing porch post

Old 07-29-03, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
securing porch post

I have my porch floor done.Its only 5'x6'.The roof it will be supporting is about the same size. Can i toenail this 4x4 post into the surface of the porch floor and also toenail the post into the studs on the outer edge of the roof just inside the finish trim?
or do i have to cut into the floor surface and secure the 4x4 post to the joist.also should i use mounting brackets to secure both ends of the posts.
I guess the reason i am asking is because i have seen several houses that recently have put on porch additions and have done it this way.in order to use all these brackets,it probably means finish trim should be installed around these brackets.This also adds to more expense.Ive seen a lot of nice houses that aren't finishing their projects off this way.
also how far should be allowed from the post to the edge of the porch surface?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-03, 05:39 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I couldn't (and wouldn't) have done it that way.

I would have (to) built the roof first, and the supporting posts would have run to a minimum of a pier block, and probably a footing with an embedded post base in it. THEN I would have built the porch floor around the posts, with a joist attached to each post.

But, since that is not an option for you at this point, use a Simpson BC40 half base to attach the post to the deck floor, and a Simpson BC4 to attach the post to the beam at the top.