deck cleaning/sealing estimate

Old 08-05-03, 01:16 PM
hking44
Visiting Guest
deck cleaning/sealing estimate

I just got an estimate from a company to powerwash and seal my 18x11 deck, railings, lattice and 2 sets of steps, for $300.

I think that sounds reasonable just because it would be way too much to do it myself!

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-03, 04:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: deck cleaning/sealing estimate

Don't know how much lattice work, railing and steps are on your deck, covered or not, low level, up high etc. Obviously steps for a 2 story deck would be more than ground level. But on the whole $300 doesn't sound unreasonable at all for around here.

This is a new deck with wood that is unfinished at this time... right?

Nothing being out of the ordinary on your deck it's not that bad a job to do yourself unless you just don't care to fool with it. I enjoy decks and remodeling and still can't believe I can get paid for working on the weekends doing this stuff.

Old 08-05-03, 05:27 PM
Here's a good rule to ALWAYS remember:
Get three or four estimates from any contracted work you want done.

Find out the cleaning process, bleach, sodium percarbonate, or some other cleaner. Some are toxic to plants/shrubs.

What stain or sealer have YOU chosen? What is yor contractor going to use?

All in all, $300 is a decent quote for a 200 sq ft deck with some steps and lattice.

fred
Deck-Kleen Powerwashing

PS - don't let them use bleach, and don't let then use Thompsons

Old 08-06-03, 08:10 AM
hking44
Visiting Guest
Deck estimate

The company who quoted me $300 will use Cuprinol as the sealer (Sherwin Williams product). There is alot of lattice, it's completely around the whole deck. To me, this and the railings would be the biggest chore.

I did request quotes from 2 other companies. This company came out the same day for the estimate and faxed me his quotation a couple hours later. I still havent heard back from the others.

Yes we just put the deck up a year ago, it's pressure treated wood, unfinished never been sealed.

Old 08-06-03, 03:05 PM
The cuprinol is not a bad product.
If it is a colored stain, such as cedar or redwood, ask if it has any uv inhibitors in the pigment. Colored stains are slightly better than clears for this reason.

He may spray the lattice and other areas.
Make sure he protects for overspray.

fred