dumb question about patio

Old 08-13-03, 02:19 PM
JaneJanet
Visiting Guest
dumb question about patio

This may be a silly question, but here goes.
We have a huge backyard and would like to put in a patio. However we have very little money to do this. ( and by very little I mean none) I have about 20 wood shelves from work and wondered if there was a way we could make it out of that? Can you lay wood like a patio stone>
Thanks in advance, and for not laughing at me.

Old 08-13-03, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
JaneJanet,

The concept sounds good but unfortunately is a bad idea.

With out have a solid substrate in which to anchor your boards, the weather conditions will literally raise havoc with your wood. Depending on the wood shelves, if it is not W/T, Redwood or Cedar, this will surely be destroyed in a short period...like one season!

Laying these on top of paverstone will be a tripping hazard for sure.

I would suggest waiting to do anything until you can acquire some more dollars and do it right as well as safe.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-14-03, 09:27 AM
jpe55071
Visiting Guest
I just put in a 10 x 10 paver patio and start to finish cost about $325. (plus $300 for new patio furniture). Cost can very greatly depending on the type of paver you use. To get a good comparison of prices for pavers calculate every thing into a "per sq ft" $ amount.

The pavers themselves where only $150 ($0.32 a piece) The other $175.00 was used for crushed limestone, sand, weed barior, paver edging, and stakes.

Point is, if you want a patio, take the time, save the money and do it right. You will be happier with the results and it will last vertually forever.

As far as home improvment is concerned, $300 - $500 is not much. If you can save $10 per week ($1.43 per day) you can put your patio in next spring.

The good thing with pavers is that you can add on easily. You can start out with a small patio and add onto it each year untill it reaches your desired shape and size.

Don't underestimate the physicall work involved. I estimated that with digging and moving dirt, hauling limestone, sand and pavers, I moved roughly 8,000 - 10,000 pounds of material.

I was able to complete the project in one full day, but I was very tired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: