Repainting a deck?

Old 08-15-03, 07:41 PM
Tpring
Visiting Guest
Repainting a deck?

I am getting ready to redo a deck that was painted with a solid stain. I am planning to clean the deck and then paint over the first coat with a second coat of the same color.

I have scrubbed the deck with a cleaner and have found that some of the old paint peels away from the wood [and this worries me].

Is the new paint going to peel away with the old? Do I need to sand the whole deck down to the wood?

Also, the deck was never sealed/painted on the underside -- is it worth the effort to clean and paint the underside to keep the deck in good condition? And if I do this shopuld I also clean and paint between the boards [ approx 1/2" gaps].

It is of average quality and will probably be replaced about 5 years down the road.

Any advice is appreciated as I have never redone a deck before.

Thanks, GRG

Old 08-16-03, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GRG,

Solid color stains(film forming type) are basically paint.
Exterior wood exposed to rain and all the other elements absorbs moisture. Thus they will PEEL!!
I'm afraid if you re-coat it will fail.
The best thing to do would use a sodium hydroxide stripper and scrub and pressure wash it off. I don't recommend sanding cuz you'll sand all the galv off your screw/nail heads.

re the underside - PT lumber will llast better than 25 or thirty years w/o any underside protection. Staining is more for aesthetics than for protection. Stain the gaps to siut your preference.
I suggest a toned oil base stain with water repellancy and uv protection.

fred

Old 08-17-03, 08:18 AM
Tpring
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your response Fred, and, unfortunately for me, I believe you are right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: