ANOTHER new homeowner with a deck...

Old 08-17-03, 12:00 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ANOTHER new homeowner with a deck...

Ok, just read similar questions but mine is somewhat unique! (Forgive my lack of technical jargon, I'm learning!)

My house has a fairly new deck that is made out of pressure-treated lumber and has what the inspector called 'red barn stain' on it. He said that I should probably put a sealant over it.

My question:
What process should I use to prep. the deck? It seems to repel water pretty well right now, but winter in Seattle is very rainy.
Also, the color was not applied to the 4x4s supporting the deck and the underside (it's off the second story). Should I seal that too??

Furthermore, I think the previous owner paid a sleazy contractor to build the deck, because every corner possible was cut. It's grossly out of code: I need to add more supports, joist brackets, and lag bolt it to the house (it's nailed!).

First question: What length of 1/2" lag bolts should I use to assure that the ledge beam at the edge of the deck is properly attached to a significant beam in the house?

The joists extend out about 3.5 feet from the beam that supports the joists at the outer edge of the deck, and the inspector seemed to think that this wasn't very safe. I'll diagram:

house
---------------------- <ledge beam
| | | | | | | | | < joists
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
_X_________X__

Old 08-17-03, 07:47 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The lag bolts --

Since this is a second story deck, you will have to go with lag bolts into the rim joist between the 1st and 2nd floors of the house. Length of the bolts will probably be about 4" -- 1-1/2" for the ledger board of the deck, 1/2" for the siding on the house, and 1-1/2" for the rim joist in the house.

The 3-1/2' cantelever -- way too much for the dimensional lumber (joists) to carry. Talk to your inspector. He may allow you to use a 4X4 or 4X6 beam under the joists, about a foot in from the outer edge of the deck, and use knee braces back to each of the existing posts, rather than installing another row of posts under the new beam. That will be his call, based on the size and spacing of the existing posts, and what they have for footings.

Seal the barn red stain with a clear sealer like Silkens, Cabot, SuperDeck. Yes, the posts supporting the deck should be sealed as well. Read back through this forum and you will know that none of us would recommend any product whose name starts with a "T" -- go to a lumberyard or paint store and spend the few extra dollars for a QUALITY sealant.

Old 08-17-03, 10:20 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks a lot lefty, very informative!

Jed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: