building new stairs

Old 08-18-03, 01:23 PM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
building new stairs

This is my winter project. I need to build a set of new stairs to go up onto the pool deck. I know the Step and the Riser needs to equal 17 inches. I plan to go buy some stringer pre-cut to what I need. Do they sell the boards special for the treads, or are they just 2x10 planks?

Old 08-21-03, 04:30 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: fjclaus

In order to better serve you and obtain the best possible answer to the question, I moved your question to this forum topic. I did so because the question pertains to the building of steps for the spa and not directly to the spa.

I am sure the resident moderator will be best able to answer your question and assist you with the project much better than the members in the prior forum which currently has no moderator.

Old 08-21-03, 04:51 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Stairs

Local building codes regulate tread depth, stair width, riser height and handrails. You can purchase pre-cut stringers and planks that you cut to fit at your local home center.

Old 08-21-03, 04:48 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would not use a 2X10 for the treads -- I would use two 2X6's for each tread. First, the treads need to be at least 11" deep -- a 2X10 isn't wide enough. Then there are the issues of splitting, warping, twisting, ...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: