composite or wood

Old 08-20-03, 04:19 AM
adukeman
Visiting Guest
composite or wood

I am in the process of building a new 22 x 30-ft deck. The joists are 16 inchea on center and the floor joists are nearly completed. Now the decision--wood or composite. If using a composite, Trex or WeatherBest, can the decking boards be angled at 45 degrees? The WB sales rep said they cannot. We were hoping for angled boards. The contractor who will complete the top of the deck suggested PT wood if angling. With this size of deck, the cost will be significant with both wood or composite and we are trying to make the "best" decision. Any suggestions?

Old 08-20-03, 01:15 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I believe Trex requires 12" OC spacing to do a 45 degree installation. There are some structural composites like Timbertek that should work, but cost substantially more than Trex.

I believe trex.com will tell you for sure what the spacing requirements are.

Old 08-20-03, 06:58 PM
paris401
Visiting Guest
we are building a pretty large deck and decided on weatherbest.

ours is 12'' oc and every other beam is doubled. we did not opt for angles.

as i mentioned 2 weeks ago, there seems tobe a little 'bounce' with the weatherbest. the next time out at the house i am going to check with the builder why is that, also get info/sizes of the materials used for the flooring.

appearance-wise we went with the grey color, and it looks real nice, but its newly installed too, lets see after a year or two..

Old 08-20-03, 07:20 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The joists at 16" O.C. are fine for either Trex or WB IF you run the decking perpendicular to the joists. To run the decking on a diagonal, the joists need to be 12" O.C.

At this point, you have 3 options.

1.) Run the decking perpendicular to the joists.

2.) Add a joist between each of the existing (making them 8" O.C.) so you can run the decking on a diagonal.

3.) Tear out the joists as needed and add more so they are set at 12" O.C.

Old 08-21-03, 03:03 AM
adukeman
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all of the info. I think we are leaning towards the Trex decking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: