new cedar deck and porch (sealer type?)

Old 08-22-03, 07:40 AM
irv63
Visiting Guest
new cedar deck and porch (sealer type?)

Just had new cedare porch and deck put in. My contractor told me he used dry cedar, so I will assume I need to seal or stain it asap.
I headr some bad stories about some of the popular brands etc. so i was wondering if anyone out there could suggest a product (money no object) as I spent enough on the deck , I dont want to go cheap when I am protecting it, so I researched a little on the internet and saw some products like TVP or ADM ?
The site states they are the best, but I think I would rathe rget the info from someone who actually used the product.
Any thoughts or suggestions.

Oh , one more thing - I suppose I need to clean it first . Any suggetions on that would also be great.
Thanks

Old 08-22-03, 03:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
irv63,

The preferred cleaner/brightener for cedar or redwood is an oxalic acid wash. Scrubbing or LIGHT pressure washing will help - I say light pw cuz cedar is softer than PT lumber.
One product I've is mfg by Flood and available either HD or Lowes. Look at the caution labels and search for oxalic. It needs to be rinsed off very thoroughly.

You probably saw TWP, available in limited areas. It's good, as is Cabots, Sikkens, Wolmans, Readyseal, and Superdeck.
The clears are less protective than the toned stains due to less or no UV protection.
The ADM product is a new epoxy coating- untested as yet for durability.

hope this helps some,
fred

Old 08-23-03, 09:00 PM
irv63
Visiting Guest
Thanks Fred...........

Yes, that did help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: