a few deck questions

Old 08-25-03, 06:37 PM
mjsmitty
Visiting Guest
Question a few deck questions

hello all, new to deck building, first what do ya'll suggest i use for decking boards 5/4" or 2x? also i heard say to run a bead of calulk (liquid nails or similar) along the joists before laying decking to prevent squeaky boards is this true? also deck is just 13" off ground. i want to build a step. can i use stringers for that short a distance (aprox 7" high step) or should i build a box step? any help would be appreciated. thanks, mike

Old 08-25-03, 11:16 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Deck boards -- What do you want your deck to look like? Where are you at and what can you get?

There are composites -- Trex, WeatherBest, etc., etc., etc... there are about 30 of them on the market. Low maintenance -- you don't have to stain or seal them, they won't split or rot.

Wood -- Redwood if you are in Ca or Southern OR (anywhere else, and the price will send you to something else!), cedar, Ipe, ...

I've never had a customer complain about squeaky deck boards, but I ALWAYS use screws to attach them. Caulking or Liquid Nails on top of the joists?? Not necessary!

Old 08-26-03, 05:30 AM
mjsmitty
Visiting Guest
thanks

thank you lefty, will probably just go with pt lumber. did'nt know if there was any advantage to using 2x's over 5\4". live north of detroit, cedar is out of the question.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: